This parmesan roasted summer squash is coated in herbed breading and oven roasted to tender crisp perfection. Summer squash has never been so tasty!
You’re going to love this roasted summer squash recipe
- It’s easy and quick to make. This summer squash recipe was made with summer in mind! No one wants to run their oven for too long during those hot days, so this recipe was made to be quick and easy! Just 15 minutes in the oven will result in the most perfect roasted summer squash that is tender-crisp and delish!
- It’s the perfect side dish! This summer squash recipe is the perfect vegetable side dish for any meal. It’s super delicious and goes well with any kind of cuisine. Grilled meats, pasta dinners, or rice bowls- this roasted summer squash recipe will compliment it all!
- It’s a budget-friendly side dish. This summer squash recipe requires few ingredients and you probably already have the majority of them in your home already! Olive oil, breadcrumbs, and dried herbs are all you need to make this vegetable side dish super flavorful!
What is summer squash
Summer squash is also known as yellow squash and is very similar to the size and shape of a zucchini. Summer squash and zucchini are both grown and harvested the same and are in season in the summer. Summer squash is yellow in color and has a bulbous bottom while zucchini is green in color and is straight in shape. Zucchini and summer squash are both have a similar mild flavor and can be used interchangeably in any recipe.
Roasted summer squash key ingredients
Summer squash– You can use these summer squash or zucchini interchangeably, so try mixing them up for more color and pizazz! I recommend cutting the summer squash disks in uniform thickness so it cooks evenly.
Italian bread crumbs– I like to use Italian breadcrumbs because they are already seasoned with herbs like oregano, thyme, and parsley. You can use panko crumbs as a substitution or even make your own breadcrumbs!
Parmesan cheese– Grated parmesan cheese is tossed in a bowl with the summer squash so it coats it and gives each summer squash disk a delicious cheesy bite!
Herbs– Oregano, thyme, and parsley go perfectly with the summer squash, but feel free to add your favorite herbs! I like to use fresh herbs, especially in the summer when I can pick them out of my kitchen garden, but dried herbs work just as well!
How to roast summer squash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the summer squash into 1/2″ slices. Discard the top and bottom slice of the squash.
- Combine the summer squash, olive oil, Italian bread crumbs, and herbs in a bowl and mix until the summer squash is evenly coated.
- Place the squash disks on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving space between each disk. Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes.
How to store and reheat
Place the roasted summer squash in an airtight container in the ridge for up to 3 days. It will get soggy if it is refrigerated for too long.
Place the oven on 350 degrees. Place the roasted summer squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, or until heated through.
What to serve with roasted summer squash
- Buttery Cajun shrimp is an easy 10 minute dinner that pairs perfectly with any vegetable, especially roasted summer squash!
- New Orleans Cajun dirty rice is a delicious meal that will feed the whole family!
- Creamy bacon chicken skillet is an easy one pan meal that is loaded with a creamy pan sauce that would be delicious over this roasted summer squash!
- This creamy spinach and artichoke chicken skillet is made with juicy chicken breasts, fresh spinach, artichoke hearts and smothered in a cheesy, creamy sauce.
- Authentic Italian beef braciole (braciola) is made with tender skirt steak that is rolled with bread crumbs, provolone cheese, and prosciutto, then simmer in a red wine tomato sauce. This is perfect for a hearty Sunday dinner!
Roasted Summer Squash
- 2 summer squash cut into 1/2" disks
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the summer squash, olive oil, Italian bread crumbs, oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until the summer squash is well coated.
- Place the breaded summer squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Place the oven on broil and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove the summer squash from the oven and serve. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.