Sauteed green beans recipe
I think we can agree that perfectly sauteed green beans that have that soft bite with a hint of crunch and sprinkled with salt is an addictive side dish. I know I always have to make more for my family because they go HARD for this recipe. Simple, easy, these are simply the best sauteed green beans.
These green beans are sautèed in olive oil which give the outsides a perfect sear, then they are steamed with butter for that addicting tender crisp bite! Lastly, garlic is added in the last couple of minutes of cooking, which adds so much fresh flavor. This green beans recipe is is easy as it is delicious!
My sauteed green beans recipe will have your loved ones gathered around a table and eatin’ their veggies! This is such a classic and trusty side dish that pleases even the pickiest of eaters!
Sauteed green beans with garlic ingredients
- Olive oil– I love using California Olive Ranch brand because it is certified by the California Olive Oil Council, which has strict requirements.
- Butter– this sauteed green beans recipe is so delicious because of the buttery flavor! I love Cabot salted butter because it has a perfect creamy flavor.
- Green beans– Fresh or frozen green beans can be used for this recipe. I will be the first to admit that I buy prepackaged fresh green beans that are washed and have the stems removed. This saves sooo much time in the kitchen.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic adds so much flavor to these green beans.
- Salt– You can add salt to the green beans while you are sauteing them or you can finish the dish with flaky salt to give it a gorgeous presentation- either way, yum!
Washing and trimming the ends off of green beans can be a huge time suck in the kitchen (especially when you have tiny humans demanding your attention). I like to buy prepackaged green beans because they are washed, trimmed, and ready to cook! This dish comes together in 15 minutes from prep time to cook time, thanks to the ease of prepackaged green beans.
Make it your own
There are so many ways to dress up sautèd green beans, they are super versatile and can go well with just about any kind of cuisine. Here are a few of my favorite ways to spice up any sautèed green beans recipe.
- White wine– Add a tablespoon of dry white wine to the pan and let most of it evaporate (about 1 minute) before you place the lid on the pan to steam the beans. This gives it the perfect Italian flare!
- Parmesan cheese– Top your sautèed green beans with grated parmesan cheese to add a balanced flavor os salt and freshness.
- Dijon mustard– Add a teaspoon (or 2) of dijon mustard when you add the butter to the pan to give it a down home, momma’s cooking kind of feel.
- Bacon– A few sliced of crumpled bacon can kick this dish in to overdrive!
How to sautè green beans
Of course you can always just toss green beans in a pan with a splash of olive oil and sautè them, but this recipe has an extra step that will give these green beans an irresistible tender crisp bite. Trust me, this recipe is the bomb!
- Heat the olive oil in the pan over medium heat.
- Place the green beans in the pan and let them sear for 2 minutes before tossing them. Continue the sear and toss method until the green beans have been sautèed for 6 or 7 minutes.
- Add the butter to the pan and stir until the butter is melted, then place the lid on the pan. Allow the beans to cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, give it a good stir, then place the lid on the pan and cook for another 2 minutes. Salt the green beans to taste.
- Serve the green beans as is or topped with grated parmesan cheese. Mangia!
How to sautè frozen green beans
You can make the swap of fresh green beans for frozen very easily. Just toss the frozen green beans in the pan and sautè like you would with fresh green beans. You do not need to thaw the frozen green beans out, although you can if you’d like, it may assist with getting the sear marks better.
How to store and reheat
Place the sautèed green beans in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the green beans by placing them in the microwave for a couple of minutes in a microwavable bowl.
What to serve with sautèed green beans with garlic
Sautèed Green Beans with Garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb green beans washed, trimmed
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Place the green beans in the pan and do not disturb the pan for 2 minutes to allow them to sear. Toss the green beans and repeat the searing process until the green beans have cooked for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the butter to the pan and stir it until it is melted. Place the lid on the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic to the pan and stir well. Place the lid back on the pan and allow it to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the green beans with a squeeze of lemon or grated parmesan. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.