Juicy seared chicken breasts in a creamy dijon mustard sauce with crispy bacon bits- a delicious meal ready in 30 minutes!
Dijon mustard chicken
Nothing says home cookin’ like a thirty minute chicken dinner. Oh, and bacon, too. Simple ingredients that you most likely have kicking around in your kitchen combine to make a fabulous creamy dijon sauce for chicken.
This meal has a tendency to win hearts over at the dinner table. The juicy seared chicken breasts are swimming in a savory and creamy dijon sauce and topped with crispy bits of bacon.
Don’t let the idea of using dijon mustard scare you. While the mustard itself is a bold flavor, when combined in this dish and simmered, the flavor is toned down and the result is scrumptious!
Dijon mustard sauce ingredients
- Chicken breasts- Make this recipe quicker by slicing chicken breasts in half so they are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bacon- Thich cut hickory smoked bacon puts a great touch on this dish.
- Chicken broth- Home made or store bought chicken broth is perfect for this recipe, but if you’re in a pinch, use a cup of water and chicken bullion.
- Dijon mustard- For the perfect savory flavor, use a good quality dijon mustard.
- White wine vinegar– Dijon mustard is mostly composed of vinegar, but an extra tablespoon helps kick up the tang.
- Seasoning- Garlic, onion, paprika, and thyme give the sauce a delicious and aromatic flavor.
- Flour- A simple flour slurry will thicken this sauce to create a creamy texture.
- Slice the chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. This allows the chicken to cook quicker and more evenly.
- Use the bacon grease to sear the chicken. There’s plenty of effective ways to cook bacon, like using the oven, stovetop, or even the microwave. To make this dish easy, cook the bacon in the pan first, then sear the chicken breasts in the bacon grease.
- Use a cast iron pan. Cast iron pans heat evenly and are the best pan for getting that perfect, crispy seared pieces of meat.
- Thicken the sauce with a slurry. Add one tablespoon of flour to two tablespoons of water, then add to the pan. Mix to combine, and lower the heat, it will thicken rather quickly.
How to make it
- Cook the bacon. Place the bacon in a cold pan, this prevents shrinking and crinkling. Heat over medium heat and cook bacon until it is crispy and browned. Remove the bacon from the pan, but keep the grease.
- Sear the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, then place them in the pan. Sear on each side for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Make the sauce. Combine the chicken broth, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, and the seasonings and add to the pan. Let the sauce come to a light boil.
- Add the chicken and bacon. Add the chicken and bacon back to the pan and reduce to a simmer. Allow the chicken to finish cooking in the sauce, about 5-10 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce. Add the flour slurry when the dish is done cooking to thicken the sauce. Do not add the slurry any earlier, as the sauce will get too thick.
- Serve. This dish is best with rice, quinoa, a fresh salad, or roasted vegetables! Mangia!
What to serve with Dijon Mustard Chicken
- Roasted asparagus that is ready in 5 minutes is an effortless and delicious side dish.
- Pan roasted broccoli with garlic goes well with just about any dish, and it’s so addictingly good!
- Rosemary garlic dinner rolls embodies real good home cookin’!
- Easy stovetop parmesan corn is a 10 minute side that everyone will love.
- Parmesan potato au gratin is made with tender scalloped potatoes and loads of cheese!
One Pan Bacon and Dijon Mustard Chicken
- 2 lbs of chicken breasts cut to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tps paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp water
- Cook the bacon. Place bacon on a cold pan and place over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it is browned and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set to the side. keep the grease in the pan and return to the stove top.
- Cook the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts. Sear the chicken breasts in the bacon grease for 2-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set to the side.
- Make the sauce. Combine the chicken broth, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and thyme in a small bowl. Mix to combine, then add to the pan. Let the sauce come to a light boil.
- Add the chicken and the bacon. Place the chicken and the bacon back in the pan, covering the chicken breasts with sauce. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Make the slurry. Combine the flour and water, then add the slurry to the pan. Stir to combine, and allow to thicken over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.