Cajun shrimp are seared in toasted southern spices and browned butter for a quick and easy weeknight meal. This shrimp is best served with your favorite grits, rice, or on a fresh salad!Jump to Recipe
Cajun shrimp recipe
Do you ever feel like there is not enough time in the day, and then it gets to be dinner time and you are drained of all thoughts and can’t figure out what to make? That’s how weeknights feel for me sometimes, but I’m determined to create meals that are quick, easy, and most importantly, delicious. This Cajun shrimp is the answer!
This cajun shrimp recipe starts with browned butter, which adds a rich flavor to the base of the dish. Next, the Cajun seasoning is toasted in the pan, which creates a more bold, aromatic flavor (and the smell is intoxicating). Lastly, the shrimp is tossed in the toasted spices the pan and seared to juicy perfection. Three steps, ten minutes, and dinner is ready to go…yes, it really is that simple!
Cajun shrimp ingredients
- Butter– Salted butter is browned in the pan first to create a rich base to the meal.
- Cajun seasoning– You can make your own Cajun seasoning blend or you can buy one.
- Garlic– Fresh garlic really elevates the dish and gives it a fresh flavor.
- Lemon– Just a squeeze of lemon brings all the rich flavors together.
- Worcestershire sauce– A splash of worcestershire sauce adds a tangy, bold flava’!
- Parsley– Fresh parsley is a must for this dish! It adds a bit of color and fresh flavor to liven your plate up with!
How to pick out shrimp
I love using fresh shrimp for my recipes because it always yields tender, juicy shrimps. Opt for fresh caught, peeled and deveined shrimp which can be found in the seafood department of your grocery store. Peeled and deveined shrimp saves so much time in the kitchen and makes this recipe run a whole lot smoother.
If you cannot find peeled and deveined shrimp, you can opt for frozen shrimp for this recipe. Thaw the frozen shrimp out according to package instructions first.
Make it ahead of time
You can easily make this shrimp ahead of time, as the flavor will develop even more in the fridge! Seafood (in my opinion) does not reheat well, so if you make this ahead of time, plan on eating it as a cold lunch/meal. You can store the cooked Cajun shrimp in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to make Cajun shrimp
- Place a large light colored pan (so you can see the color of the butter change) over medium heat. Once the pan is warm, add the butter, then stir until the butter is melted. Continue to cook the butter for 5-8 minutes until the color is golden brown.
- Add the Cajun seasoning to the browned butter and toast the seasoning for 2 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice.
- Place the shrimp in the pan and stir until the the shrimp is well coated in the seasoning. Cook the shrimp for 2-5 minutes (depending on the size).
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and serve with rice, a salad, or eat it as is!
What to store Cajun shrimp with
This Cajun shrimp recipe is so versatile and can be served with countless meals, but here are some of my favorite recommendations:
- You can really elevate this meal by topping a salad with the Cajun shrimp. Everyone loves a protein packed salad!
- Feelin’ the southern Cajun cuisine? Try making Cajun dirty rice, you can sub the sausage for the shrimp OR you can add both!
- Cajun pasta is an all American classic that is rich, delicious, and easy to make. You can sub the chicken in that recipe for the shrimp very easily!
- For a light and healthy meal, you can serve Cajun shrimp with lemon parmesan broccolini, pan roasted broccoli with garlic, or 5 minute oven roasted asparagus.
How to store and reheat
You can store cooked shrimp in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days. Shrimp can be reheated in the skillet or microwave for 2 minutes until it is warmed through. This dish is also fantastic when enjoyed cold!
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Small Apartment Design
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- Easy Blackberry Cobbler
- Tropical Summer Sangria
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Buttery Cajun Shrimp
Cajun shrimp are seared in toasted southern spices and browned butter for a quick and easy weeknight meal. This shrimp is best served with your favorite grits, rice, or on a fresh salad!
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lb peeled and deveined large shrimp
Place a light colored pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the butter and cook for 5-8 minutes until is it golden brown. Next, add the Cajun seasoning, thyme, and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the Worchestershire sauce and lemon juice to the pan, then add the shrimp. Sear the shrimp on each side for 2-3 minutes, until the shrimp is pink. Flip the shrimp and sear on the other side. Remove the pan from the stove and serve. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!