This chicken Margherita is the perfect 30-minute meal that is bursting with flavor! Juicy chicken breasts are topped with melted mozzarella cheese, pesto sauce, and garden-fresh basil and tomatoes for a healthy meal that is a crowd pleaser!
What makes this chicken Margherita chicken so good
- It’s the perfect 30 minute meal! Weekday meals have never been so easy (or tasty!). Everyone loves a delicious meal that can be made in minutes. The chicken breast is grilled in minutes and is ready to serve in 30 minutes or under! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
- It uses healthy, fresh ingredients. Melty mozzarella cheese, sun ripened grape tomatoes, garden picked basil, homemade pesto, and tender Smart Chicken chicken breasts makes this meal not only protein packed but very nutrient dense. It’s the perfect meal when you want something light and filling but will hit the spot!
- It’s customizable! You can switch this recipe up to make it just how you like it! Instead of pesto, you can use your favorite tomato sauce (like marinara or pomedora sauce), or you can skip the sauce all together and grill the chicken in a balsamic glaze like this chicken caprese sandwich!
- Choose your cooking method! This chicken margherita is so versatile and easy to make, you can even choose the method of cooking (hello, perfect camping recipe!). This recipe includes how to make it on the grill, stove top, or in the oven- and it’s still a 30 minute meal!
Key ingredients for chicken Margherita
Smart Chicken Organic Boneless Skinless chicken breasts– I love using Smart Chicken organic boneless skinless chicken breasts because it’s very conveniently packaged and is the perfect fast cooking protein. Simply remove the chicken from the package, season it, and grill it!
Mozzarella cheese– Sliced mozzarella cheese melts so perfectly over the chicken breasts and really seals in the flavor and keeps the chicken tender and moist. You can use swiss, provolone, gouda, or muenster cheese, which all melt really well!
Pesto sauce– If you haven’t tried my white wine pesto sauce, now’s your chance! Pesto is made quickly in a blender and is bursting with fresh flavor. You can use store bought pesto or even skip the pesto altogether and add your favorite tomato sauce!
Grape tomatoes– Sun ripened, juicy, sweet grape tomatoes really liven up this chicken Margherita. I like to add a variety of colorful tomatoes for a little more pizazz.
- Marinate the bail, tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil first. While you wait for the grill to heat, toss the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil together in a bowl and place it in the fridge. Allow the mixture to marinate for at least 10 minutes in the fridge. The flavors will be bursting!
- Close the grill to melt the cheese. Once the chicken has been grilled, place the cheese on top, then close the grill for just a couple of minutes. This allows the cheese to melt but the chicken will not dry out.
How to make chicken margherita
- Marinate the tomato mixture. Toss the tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, and salt together in a small bowl, then place it in the fridge to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Season the chicken breast. Combine the chicken breasts, olive oil, and seasoning in a bowl and mix until the chicken is coated evenly.
- Stove top instructions: Place a medium pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the pan and sear on each side for 4 minutes. Once the chicken has been flipped, place the cheese on top of the cooked half of the chicken. Top with pesto and the tomato mixture.
- Oven instructions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, then place it in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes (or until it has reached the internal temperature of 165 degrees). Place the cheese on top of the chicken, then place it back in the oven and broil for 2 minutes. Top with pesto and the tomato mixture.
- Grill instructions: Preheat the grill on medium high heat. Grill the chicken on each side for 5-6 minutes. Place the cheese on the chicken, then close the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Top with pesto and the tomato mixture.
What to serve with chicken margherita
How to store
In the fridge: Place the chicken margherita in an airtight container and place it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat: Place the chicken in a skillet over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- 2 lbs Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic power
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup basil finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat (350 degrees). Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil in a bowl. Place it in the fridge.
- Combine the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl and stir. Place the chicken breasts in the bowl and toss until the chicken breasts are evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on the grill and grill for 10 minutes, then flip and grill for 8 more minutes. Place the cheese on top of the chicken and cook for 2 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and the chicken has reached the internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the grill and spread the pesto sauce on top.
- Top the chicken breasts with the tomato basil mixture. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.