This chicken Caprese sandwich is packed with melted mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and juicy balsamic glazed chicken breasts for an easy and delicious meal!
Chicken caprese sandwich
We had a 35-degree morning here in Florida’s panhandle, and it made me miss summer. I had to eat my feelings, so I made this super fresh, summer tasting chicken Caprese sandwich. Oh. My. Gosh!! Can we just go over a few reasons why this is SO good?
- It’s ready in 20 minutes. This Caprese sandwich took less than twenty minutes from start to finish! It’s super simple to assemble and the longest part is cooking the chicken!
- It has a short list of easy to find ingredients. Like most of my recipes, I try to keep things simple and my ingredients accessible. This Caprese sandwich is no different! The ingredients can be found in any grocery store and it’s affordable.
- It’s packed with flavor. To me, summer tastes like sun ripened tomatoes and fresh garden picked basil. This Caprese sandwich is stuffed with Roma tomatoes and basil leaves to deliver that ultra fresh summertime crunch! The chicken is glazed with balsamic vinegar and honey which adds a sweet and acidic tang. So. Incredibly. Delish!
What is Caprese?
Caprese is a very popular Italian salad that originated in Capri, a southern region of Italy. It contains buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, and occasionally features arugula. The Caprese salad is drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic which ties in all the fresh flavors!
Caprese sandwhich ingredients
- Crusty bread– You have some options here! I really like ciabatta bread for sandwiches, but any crusty baguette will work! Make sure it’s wide enough to hold all the contents of the sandwich, though!
- Fresh basil– Nothing compares to the fresh flavor of basil! This adds that summertime freshness to the Caprese sandwich.
- Plum tomatoes– Heirloom or plum tomatoes are great options for sandwich tomatoes. They are easy to cut, have a great flavor, and are not super wet.
- Mozzarella cheese– You will need shredded mozzarella and a ball of mozzarella cheese for this recipe. The shredded cheese is melted onto the bread (which prevents the bread from getting soggy), and the ball of mozzarella is sliced and piled in the center of the sandwich.
- Chicken– Opt for a thinner cut of chicken like chicken tenderloins. Smaller, thinner pieces of chicken cook quicker, saving you more time in the kitchen!
- Seasoning– The chicken is seasoned with a pinch of Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper before it is brushed with the balsamic glaze.
- The glaze– Balsamic vinegar and honey are combined to make an easy and quick glaze.
Make it ahead of time
You can prepare this sandwich ahead of time so you can pack this Caprese for lunch with a quickness! Cook the chicken ahead of time, then store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Slice the mozzarella ball into thin slices, then store it in an airtight container. Slice the tomatoes and place them in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you are ready to assemble the sandwich, melt the cheese on the loaf of bread (this takes only 2 minutes, maximum!), then assemble using all your prepared ingredients. Easy, right?
Make it your own
You know I love giving you ideas to make these meals your own! This chicken Caprese sandwich is just the basics, but boy do I have some delicious suggestions for you! Here are a few simple additions that will kick this Caprese sandwich up a few notches!
- Use flavored balsamic vinegar. I love using flavored balsamic vinegar like pomegranate, strawberry, or even peach balsamic vinegar!
- Use different cheeses. You can add a whole lotta flava by using a different shredded cheese to melt over the bun. Provolone, Monterey Jack, parmesan, gouda, asiago, or fontina are all melty cheese that are super flavorful. You can also sub out the mozzarella ball with burrata if you like a more creamy flavor.
- Add some more crunch. Arugula is a fabulous addition to these Caprese sandwiches. It adds a delicious crunch and a pepper flavor which compliments the basil and tomatoes perfectly!
- Add your favorite dressing. Traditionally, Caprese salad is drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. You can use complementing flavors such as a white wine vinaigrette, raspberry vinaigrette, lemon poppy vinaigrette, or even Italian dressing.
- Add pesto. You can really amp up the flavor of this sandwich by smearing pesto all over the melted cheese bread loaves. Try this white wine pesto sauce, it’s insanely delicious!
How to make chicken Caprese sandwiches
- Cook the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning onto the chicken. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the balsamic vinegar and honey to the pan. Place the chicken in the pan and sear on each side for 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan once it’s cooked thoroughly, then place it to the side.
- Toast the bread and melt the cheese. Place the oven on 450 degrees (or broil if you don’t mind standing there and watching so your bread does not burn). Sprinkle the halved loaf of bread generously with shredded cheese and place it on a baking sheet. Place the bread loaves in the oven and cook for 2-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is browned.
- Stuff the Caprese sandwich. Lay the sliced tomatoes on the bread, then stack the sliced mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, and chicken. Drizzle the sandwich with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then close it. Mangia!
What to serve with chicken Caprese sandwiches
- Italian vegetables are coated in a delicious gravy and comes together in just a few minutes for an easy and fast side dish.
- Summer tabouli orzo pasta salad is packed with all fresh Mediterranean seasonal produce and loads of flavor. This is a perfect light lunch or meatless dinner, and it’s delicious cold or hot!
- This delicious Italian sub salad is jam packed with all the best ingredients and is drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette.
- Oven roasted asparagus is such an easy side dish that is healthy, delicious, and is ready in 5 minutes!
- This crispy pan fried broccoli dish is healthy and addicting! Robust olive oil and raw garlic add a perfect touch of flavor.
Chicken Caprese Sandwich
- 1 loaf of bread
- 1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 8 oz ball of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lb chicken tenderloins pounded to 1/2" thickness
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- olive oil *for drizzling
- balsamic vinegar *for drizzling
- Cook the chicken. Place a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the balsamic vinegar and honey. Allow the mixture to reduce for 2-3 minutes. Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel, then sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Add the chicken to the pan, then cook on each side for 5 minutes, or until it is cooked through. Place the chicken to the side.
- Toast the bread. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Slice the loaf of bread into three equal pieces, then slice them in half. Place the bread on a baking sheet, then sprinkle them with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place the bread in the oven and bake for 2-4 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges of the bread is browned. Do not walk away from the oven, the bread can burn easily.
- Stuff the sandwich. Layer the sandwich with sliced tomatoes, sliced mozarella cheese, basil, and chicken. Place the top loaf on the sandwich and enjoy! Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.