This turkey and bacon sandwich with basil aioli is loaded with cracked pepper deli turkey, avocado slices, roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, mozzarella, and an easy basil aioli to tie it all in! This is not your momma’s sandwich!Jump to Recipe
Turkey sandwich on ciabatta bread
I know what you’re thinking. Did she really write a recipe for a turkey sandwich? Isn’t this the first thing you learn how to make when you’re like.. 8?! Look, it may sound simple, but this turkey sandwich is taken to a whole other level!
First, to make any sandwich fancy-schmancy, you need to grab some hearty ciabatta bread. It is the perfect bread to toast and has all the nooks and crannies that absorb that delicious basil aioli. The ciabatta bread also is perfect and durable enough to hold in all the fixings!
Next, we have all the delicious fixings, which taste phenomenal together! Roasted red pepper gives the turkey sandwich a nice smokey undertone, while the artichoke hearts add a little tang. Let’s not forget the star player on every team: bacon!
The basil aioli is super easy to make, and the pest part is it only contains four simple ingredients and packs some seriously delicious flavor! This aioli brings all the flavors together and adds a fresh taste, so don’t skip it!
Turkey sandwich recipe ingredients
- Ciabatta bread– Ciabatta bread is preferable because it’s bulky and will hold the sandwich ingredients in place, but any kind of bulky roll will work!
- Cracked pepper turkey– Ask your deli to slice the turkey thick, this way each slice has more of that delicious cracked pepper coating on it.
- Thick cut bacon– Go ahead and grab the thick cut bacon, and if you really want to kick it up a notch, make it hickory smoked!
- Roasted red pepper– Jarred roasted red pepper can be found in the canned vegetable aisle in your local grocery store, but I’ll walk you through how to roast one yourself to save a few bucks!
- Artichoke hearts– Jarred quartered artichoke hearts can also be found in the canned vegetable aisle of your grocery store. Marinated artichokes are perfectly fine (and delicious) to use!
- Sliced mozzarella cheese– Don’t feel limited! Grab whatever cheese speaks to you! Provolone would be another great option.
- Basil aioli- This basil aioli is super easy to make and comes together in seconds in a blender. It consists of mayonnaise, lemon juice, a garlic clove, and fresh basil.
- Toast the bread. Somethin’ about a warm turkey sandwich on a toasted bun makes everything alright.
- Cut the bacon strips in half before cooking. This helps prevent the bacon from curling and also cooks faster.
- Use the oven to toast multiple ciabatta rolls. Split the buns and place them on the top rack in the oven, then place the oven on broil. Cook them for 2-3 minutes until they are toasted. This will save you time if you are making multiple turkey sandwiches!
- Assemble it when you are ready to eat it. The bread will get soggy from the basil aioli if it’s left out for too long, so assemble the sandwich and eat it within that day. If you are packing this turkey sandwich for lunch, pack the basil aioli separately to avoid soggy buns!
How to roast a red pepper
This sandwich is really enhanced with the smokey, yet sweet roasted red pepper. If you can’t find them in the grocery store, you can easily make them at home!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice the top of the bell pepper off and discard. Cut the pepper in half, then scoop out the ribs and seeds.
- Lay the bell pepper on a baking sheet cut side down. Use a pastry brush to brush the olive oil all over the bell pepper. Sprinkle it with salt.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, until the skin of the pepper is blackened and blistered.
How to make a gourmet turkey sandwich
- Cook the bacon. Cut the bacon strips in half so they cook quicker and do not crinkle.
- Make the basil aioli. While the bacon cooks, make the basil aioli. Combine the basil, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and garlic in a blender and blend until it’s mostly smooth. Grab the rest of the turkey sandwich ingredients out and place them on your counter.
- Toast the ciabatta bread. If you are making these turkey sandwiches for multiple people, split the rolls in half and place them in the oven on the top rack. Put the oven on broil and cook for 2-3 minutes until the bread rolls are browned and toasted.
- Layer the sandwich toppings. Add the toppings and stack them neatly, then drizzle with the basil aioli. Place the top half of the bread on the sandwich.
More easy lunch ideas
- These Philly cheese steak egg rolls are stuffed with roast beef, provolone, and mozzarella cheese, then deep fried to crispy perfection! A delicious and easy au jus sauce compliments these egg rolls perfectly!
- Creamy grape tomato bisque with pesto provolone grilled cheese is a perfect summertime meal that combines all the seasonal flavors. This easy vegetarian meal kicks this classic dish up a notch!
- Southern fried green tomato BLT sandwiches with cajun remoulade sauce kicks this traditional dish up a notch! Rich yet fresh, this sandwich will win your heart over with it’s many layers of flavors!
- Tuna patties with Old Bay seasoning are easy to make and so delicious! These healthy patties are packed with nutrients and flavor!
- Antipasto Quinoa Salad is packed with all the best flavors of Italy! Salami, pepperoncini, and artichokes build the quinoa bowl before being topped with a white wine vinaigrette.
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Creamy Bacon Chicken Skillet
- Funfetti Dip
- Balsamic Glazed Salmon with Strawberry Relish
- The Best 30 Minute Weekday Meals
- Italian Stuffed Artichokes + Instant Pot instructions
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Turkey and Bacon Sandwich with Basil Aioli
This turkey and bacon sandwich with basil aioli is loaded with cracked pepper deli turkey, avocado slices, roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, mozzarella, and an easy basil aioli to tie it all in! This is not your momma's sandwich!
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 16 slices of cracked pepper turkey sliced thick
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon
- 4 slices of roasted red pepper
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Cook the bacon. Cut the bacon strips in half and cook the bacon until it is brown and done thouraghly.
Make the aioli. Place the mayonnaise, basil, garlic clove, and lemon juice in a blender and blend until it is mostly smooth.
Toast the ciabatta rolls. Halve the rolls and place them on a baking sheet, cut side up. Place the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and set the oven to broil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they are golden and toasted.
Make the sandwich. Stack the turkey, bacon, mozzarella cheese, roasted red pepper, and artichoke hearts onto of the bottom piece of bread. Drizzle with the basil aoili, then top with the top piece of bread. Dig in! Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!