Italian vegetables are coated in a delicious gravy and comes together in just a few minutes for an easy and fast side dish.Jump to Recipe
Vegetable side dishes
Not going to lie, I had such a hard time naming this dish because it’s simply known as “Italian vegetables” in my family. My mom makes this for ever holiday or special occasion and it’s so good.
This vegetable side dish is tossed in a light vegetarian gravy which makes it super delicious and such a hit! The vegetables are quickly sautèd, then the gravy is made right in the pan. Each bite delivers a fresh and scrumptious flavor.
This Italian vegetable side dish is made with garbanzo beans, bell peppers, black olives, and French cut green beans. The combination of the flavors is phenomenal!
The vegetarian gravy is made right in the same pan and coats the vegetables perfectly. It’s light, goes well with any dish, and is about to be your new favorite vegetable side dish!
Italian vegetable ingredients
- French cut green beans– My mom uses Italian cut green beans which are thicker and wider than French cut green beans, but I could not find them anywhere in my town! Use whichever cut you can find, they are both delicious!
- Garbanzo beans– Also known as chickpeas, opt for canned so you can skip the whole process of soaking them.
- Bell pepper– You can use a variety of bell peppers to add color, or just stick to one color, I prefer red or yellow!
- Black olives– Sliced or whole black olives add a richness to this vegetable side dish.
- Vegetable stock– The gravy is made simply from vegetable stock and cornstarch- easy peasy!
- Cornstarch– Adding cornstarch to the vegetable stock created the perfect consistency in the gravy.
Make it your own
This recipe is very simple and all the vegetables speak for themselves. Each bite delivers a new flavor since it’s such a fun mixture of veggies. You can easily switch this dish up by adding a few of your favorite vegetables or seasonings. Here are a few of my best suggestions:
- Fresh herbs- You can add fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano, parsley, or thyme to enhance the flavor of this dish.
- Brussels sprouts
- Italian seasoning
- Herbs de Provence
Make it ahead of time
You can make this dish ahead of time and reheat it when you are ready to eat. Cook this dish, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. When you are ready to eat, you can reheat it in the microwave for a few minutes or in the oven at 350 degrees for ten minutes.
How to make Italian vegetables
- Sautè the onions and garlic. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and onion and sautè them for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables. Drain and rise the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas, bell pepper, and olives to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the French cut green beans and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Make the gravy. Combine the vegetable stock and the cornstarch in a cup and stir to combine. Add the mixture to the pan and continue to cook for 2 minutes until the gravy has thickened. Sprinkle salt as desired.
- Serve. Scoop the Italian vegetables into individual bowls and serve. Mangia!
How to store and reheat
Store this dish in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days. To reheat this vegetable side dish, pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes or in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes until it is warmed through.
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi Caprese with Asiago Spinach Sausage
- Mojo Chicken (baked, grilled, or stovetop!)
- Chicken Margherita(grilled, baked, or stove top!)
- Small Apartment Design
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Italian vegetables are coated in a delicious gravy and comes together in just a few minutes for an easy and fast side dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1" bite sized pieces
- 1 6 oz can of whole black olives
- 2 cups frozen French cut green beans
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
Sautè the vegetables. Place a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil the hot pan, then add the onion and garlic and sautè them for 2 minutes. Drain and rise the chickpeas, then add them to the pan. Add the bell pepper and olives and sautè the vegetables for another 5 minutes.
Add the green beans. Add the French cut green beans to the pan and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Make the gravy. Combine the vegetable stock and cornstarch in a cup and stir, then add it to the pan. Cook the vegetable mixture for 2 minutes until the gravy has thickened. Add the salt and stir.
Serve. Once the gravy has thickened, serve the vegetables. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!