This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This robust, flavorful Pomodoro sauce is made with 6 simple ingredients and is ready in 45 minutes. It’s the perfect healthy recipe for busy nights!
Pomodoro sauce recipe
If you love easy and delicious sauces, check out penne alla vodka sauce, 5 minute marinara sauce, or red wine pasta sauce.
Need a bite of summer? This easy pomodoro sauce recipe is packed with sun ripened tomatoes, harvested summertime herbs, and it tastes so fresh! It has all the flavor you need and uses only a few simple ingredients!
Pomodoro literally translates from Italian to English as “tomato,” which is the base of this sauce. It uses fresh tomatoes (like my tomato sauce from scratch) to give it a fresh and robust flavor.
Pomodoro Vs. Marinara
There is a slight difference between Pomodoro sauce and marinara sauce. They both can use fresh tomatoes, but marinara sauce tends to be a thinner consistency with chunks of tomato and contains more herbs like oregano, red pepper flakes, etc.
Pomodoro sauce is much more simple in ingredients and has a thicker, smoother consistency than marinara sauce.
Pomodoro sauce ingredients
- Plum tomatoes– You can use fresh plum tomatoes or a 28 oz. can of whole peeled San Marzo tomatoes (I always use Cento brand).
- Fresh basil– Fresh basil compliments the sweetness of the tomatoes and adds a ton of fresh flavor.
- Garlic– Garlic is sautèd first to add depth of flavor.
- Salt– Just a pinch of salt will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- Olive oil– I love using California Olive Ranch olive oil because it’s of great quality and is super flavorful.
Give it time
Like most pasta sauces, the flavor develops even more over time. This sauce can be ready in 45 minutes (even 30 if you really wanted to push the envelope) but it develops a deeper, riches, more finished flavor the longer it is simmered.
Switch it up
You can steer off course with this Pomodoro sauce and make it your own! Here are a few of my best-kept secrets on switching the flavor up!
Use fresh heirloom tomatoes for a more refined flavor as I did in my tomato sauce from scratch. You can also make it creamy by adding 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Make it creamy by adding 1/2 cup of heavy cream to the sauce (like my penne alla vodka recipe).
Make it spicy by adding 1/2-1 tsp of red pepper flakes to the Pomodoro sauce. It will give it the perfect amount of heat!
How to make Pomodoro sauce
- Prepare the tomatoes. Halve the tomatoes and deseed them using a spoon. Add the tomatoes to a food processor and blend them until smooth. Place the tomatoes in a strainer and allow them to strain the excess liquid for a few minutes.
- Sautè the ingredients. Place a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil to the hot pot, then sautè the garlic for 2 minutes. Add the basil leaves and the tomatoes.
- Simmer the sauce. Lower the heat to a simmer, then allow the sauce to cook for 40 minutes. Add salt to taste (and even a dash of sugar if the acidity needs to be balanced).
- Serve. Remove the basil leaves before serving. Cook your favorite pasta and serve with the Pomodoro sauce. Mangia!
How to store and reheat
In the freezer
Allow the sauce to cool completely before attempting to freeze. I like to place my sauce in the fridge overnight. Pour the sauce into airtight freezer safe containers (I love using Mason jars for this) and place it in the freezer with the lid placed lightly on top. Once the sauce has frozen, you can tighten the lid.
In the fridge
Pour the Pomodoro sauce into an airtight container and place it in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days.
Simply place the Pomodoro sauce in a microwave-safe container and reheat for 1-2 minutes. You can also place the Pomodoro sauce in a small pan over medium heat on the stove for 10 minutes.
More pasta recipes
Hot sausage and pepper pasta
Instant pot beef ragu
Pesto pasta with artichoke hearts
Penne au gratin
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Easy Pomodoro Sauce
This robust, flavorful Pomodoro sauce is made with 6 simple ingredients and is ready in 45 minutes. It's the perfect healthy recipe for busy nights!
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes halved and deseeded
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
Prepare the tomatoes. Halve the tomatoes, then use a spoon to deseed them. Discard the seeds. Place the tomatoes in a food processor and blend them until they are smooth. Place the tomatoes in a strainer and allow the excess liquid to strain for about 5 minutes.
Sautè the ingredients. Place a medium sized pot over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sautè for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring it to a light boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the basil and salt.
Simmer the sauce. Allow the sauce to simmer for 40 minutes. Stir the sauce frequently.
Serve. Remove the basil from the sauce and discard. Serve this sauce with your favorite pasta. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!
Leave a Reply