Nothing says Summer quite like a refreshing salad, and what better way to dress those fresh greens than with our Healthy Green Goddess Dressing? This delightful blend of fresh herbs, tangy lemon, and creamy sour cream offers a perfect balance of flavors. Whether you’re an anchovy lover or you prefer to opt for Worcestershire sauce, this recipe has you covered.
The Origin of Green Goddess Dressing
This classic dressing has a rich history, originating from San Francisco in the 1920s at the renowned Palace Hotel. It has seen numerous variations over the years, but the heart of the recipe remains a beautiful blend of fresh, flavorful ingredients.
What Makes It So Special?
The combination of basil, parsley, and green onions gives this dressing its vibrant green color, while the sour cream adds a luxurious creaminess. The anchovies or Worcestershire sauce provide that mysterious umami kick that makes this dressing truly unforgettable.
What is Healthy Green Goddess Dressing?
Like many amazing things, this incredible recipe was created in San Francisco, California. In the 1920’s, an executive chef of the Palace Hotel created a dish that would later grow popularity in the 1970’s and 80’s. This dressing originated as a blend of mayo, anchovies, garlic, tarragon, parsley, and chives. Now, there are many versions of this classic dressing.
How to Make Healthy Green Goddess Dressing?
Creating this dressing is as easy as blending a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh Herbs: Basil, parsley, and green onions for that herbaceous flair.
- Creaminess: Sour cream gives a luscious texture.
- Acidity: Lemon and white wine vinegar add a refreshing tang.
- Umami Boost: Anchovies or Worcestershire sauce for depth of flavor.
- Finishing Touches: Salt and olive oil to round it all out.
- Blend the Ingredients: Simply place all the ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Serve or Store: Serve immediately over your favorite salad, or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Choosing Fresh Herbs: Look for bright, vibrant leaves for the best flavor.
- Blending: Make sure to blend until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
- Adjusting to Taste: Feel free to adjust the seasoning and acidity to your liking.
- Serving Ideas: This dressing isn’t just for salads; try it as a dip for veggies or a sauce for grilled chicken!
Try Green Goddess Dressing In These Recipes
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Bowl With Green Goddess Dressing
- Green Goddess Tortellini Salad
- Summer Tabouli Orzo Pasta Salad
- Pesto Pasta With Artichoke Hearts
- White Wine Pesto Sauce
Yes! Greek yogurt will provide a tangier flavor but will work well.
Absolutely, replace the sour cream with a vegan alternative and use the Worcestershire sauce option.
Stored in an airtight container, it will keep for up to 5 days.
Healthy Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 juiced lemon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 anchovies OR 1 TBS worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBS white wine vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS olive oil
- In a blender, combine basil, parsley , green onions, lemon juice, garlic, anchovies, white wine vinegar, sour cream, salt, and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.