Shrimp ceviche pasta salad is packed with fresh shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, jalapeño, and al dente pasta. This easy and fast dish is perfect for lazy summer days!
Shrimp ceviche pasta
I love coming up with delicious ways to serve seafood. Creamy shrimp and bacon scampi, shrimp and tortellini beurre blanc, and Italian stuffed whole pompano are just a few easy and tasty classics that my family enjoys.
Summertime means quick dinners with a ton of fresh flavors. Less time in the kitchen means more time chillin’ by the pool! Since we live on the coast of Florida, we have access to some of the best seafood, and I take advantage of it!
Shrimp ceviche pasta comes together within 15 minutes! Best part? It uses few dishes, so you spend less time cooking and cleaning up, and more time enjoying family time.
This dish is perfect to bring to any gathering and is delicious hot or cold! The longer it sits in the fridge, the more the flavor develops. The perfect blend of citrus juice, cilantro, and jalapeño will definitely have you running back for seconds.
Shrimp ceviche pasta salad ingredients
- Farfalle pasta– Known better as bow tie pasta, this shape of pasta is fun and small, so it blends in with the other diced ingredients very well.
- Fresh shrimp- Using fresh shrimp ensures the texture and flavor will be on point!
- Citrus- Fresh lemon and limes make this dish tangy and fresh!
- Roma tomatoes– Seeded and diced roma tomatoes adds color and flavor.
- Red onion
- Jalapeño– If you are sensitive to spicy flavors, remove the ribs and seeds in the jalapeño.
- Buy fresh shrimp. Wild caught shrimp hands down has a better flavor than farmed shrimp. If you can get your hands on wild caught shrimp, go for it! Most shrimp in the grocery store has been previously frozen, or flash frozen, and now lays on a bed of ice, thawing for the consumer. Shrimp should not have an ammonia smell (a telltale sign it is bad).
- Let this dish sit in the fridge. If time allows, make this dish in the morning and allow it to sit in the fridge until you are ready for dinner. This dish is best served cold, and the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it gets!
- Save time and buy pre-cooked frozen shrimp. This is the best option if you cannot buy fresh shrimp or need to save time in the kitchen. Pre-cooked frozen shrimp is dethawed quickly by placing it in a strainer under running cold water.
How to buy fresh shrimp
There are a few options when it comes to buying shrimp. Shrimp can come deveined, tail on or tailless, whole shell, pre cooked, or frozen or fresh. I’ve tried every variety of store bought and fresh off the boat shrimp and these are my suggestions!
Buy them fresh
If you have a favored local seafood store or grocery store, look for wild caught shrimp. These shrimp have more flavor and a better texture. To save time in the kitchen, look for shrimp that is deveined and tailless.
Buy them frozen
Most shrimp that you will find at the grocery store was caught, then deep-frozen on the ship. When they arrive at the store, they are thrown on the ice and they begin to defrost.
Save money and grab the bag of frozen shrimp! It’s so easy to defrost the shrimp at home and it is the cheaper option than grabbing it from the seafood counter.
Always buy deveined shrimp
I have deveined plenty of shrimp in my time, and it’s my least favorite activity. It’s messy, time consuming, and straight up gross. The “vein” in the back of the shrimp is its digestive tract, meaning it is shrimp poop. Sorry, but I needed to tell you that.
It’s not harmful to eat shrimp that has not been deveined it’s definitely not preferable. If you do find yourself with a bag of shrimp that has not been deveined, don’t sweat it. Grab a pairing knife and slice the back of the shrimp from the tail to the end. Use the tip of the knife to scrape out the vein and discard. Run the shrimp under cold running water to finish cleaning it.
How to make shrimp ceviche pasta salad
- Boil the shrimp. Raw shrimp only need 1-3 minutes to cook in boiling water. Strain the shrimp once all the shrimp is pink.
- Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a roaring boil. Cook the pasta to al dente, then strain.
- Chop the produce. While the pasta is cooking, chop the shrimp, cilantro, roma tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño, avocado, and juice the limes and lemons.
- Toss the pasta salad together. Grab a large serving bowl and toss all the ingredients together. Mix it well and serve!
What to serve with shrimp ceviche pasta salad
- Enjoy these frozen strawberry watermelon margaritas that combines fresh, sweet watermelon, strawberries, lime juice, and tequila! This easy blender made drink will impress the crowd!
- Frozen hibiscus lemonade is made with fresh squeezed lemons, hibiscus tea, and lots of ice! This icy and delicious drink takes lemonade up a notch and tastes just like summer!
- Mango and Tajin paletas are a perfect combination of Mexico’s classic sweet and spicy flavor mixture. Juicy, fresh mango are pureed, then combined with spicy tajin and frozen into Mexican paletas, or popsicles.
- Take a trip to Mexico with this delicious pineapple peach agua fresca. This lightly sweetened and fruity drink is so refreshing and non alcoholic!
Shrimp Ceviche Pasta Salad
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 lb medium sized shrimp
- 2 lemons juiced (about 6 tbsp)
- 2 limes juiced (about 4 tbsp)
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 jalapeño diced, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook the shrimp. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is rapidly boiling, cook the shrimp for 1-3 minutes, unil they are pink. Strain the shrimp, then chop the shrimp into small peices. If you are using frozen shrimp, skip this step and place them in a strainer under cold runnign water for 5-10 minutes unitl they are dethawed.
- Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Strain the pasta and place in the large serving bowl.
- Chop the produce. While the pasta is cooking, dice the tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, red onion, and avocado and place in the large serving bowl. Juice the lemon and lime into the bowl. Add the salt.
- Toss everything together. Place all the ingredients into the bowl and toss until everything is mixed well. Serve and enjoy! Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.