Enjoy these frozen strawberry watermelon margaritas that combines fresh, sweet watermelon, strawberries, lime juice, and tequila! This easy blender made drink will impress the crowd!Jump to Recipe
Frozen watermelon margaritas
My husband is a fan of two steppin’ in the kitchen. Sometimes, he swoops me into a slow dance while singing “Cause you and Tequila make me crazy, run like poison in my blood, one more night could kill me, baby, one is one too many, one more is never enough…”
Obviously I needed to make a drink to match this vibe. Summertime here in the Brubaker home is filled with fresh, sweet vine ripened watermelons. Frozen watermelon margaritas was a no brainer, but this recipe includes a smoky tequila called Mezcal, which kicks this margarita up a notch.
The fresh watermelon and strawberries adds a delicate sweetness that conceals the tequila taste well, so be careful! These are dangerously delicious!
The mezcal adds a delicious smokiness that really brings out the hint of lime and the sweetness of the fruit. We’ll dive deeper into what the difference between tequila and mezcal is, but trust me, mezcal really adds something extra!
This margarita recipe is meant for about 5-6 people, so it’s perfect to whip up quickly while entertaining! These frozen drinks are made quickly and easily in a blender and take just a few minutes.
Frozen watermelon margarita ingredients
- Watermelon– Using fresh, sweet watermelon is important for this recipe to make sure it is not bland.
- Strawberries- If you cannot find ripe strawberries, opt for frozen strawberries, which are frozen at their peak freshness!
- Lime juice– Fresh or bottled lime juice is perfect, but key lime juice is even better!
- Simple syrup– Homemade or store bought simple syrup is great for this recipe.
- Mezcal– Any tequila will work for these frozen margaritas, but mezcal adds a delicious yet light smokey flavor.
- Ice– Loads and loads of ice is needed to make this frozen treat.
- Pick out the perfect watermelon. Look for a watermelon that shows signs that it was left on the vine to ripen the longest. If you do not want to cut into a whole watermelon, buy the store-bought packages of cut up watermelon chunks.
- Use frozen strawberries to add extra frostiness. Using frozen strawberries ensures that the strawberries have maximum flavor and create a denser consistency(especially when fresh strawberries are not in season).
- Use a high powered blender. To make sure this frozen margarita has the best consistency, use a high powered blender. The consistency should be like an Icee.
What is the difference between mezcal and tequila
Short answer: they are made from different kinds of agave. Tequila and mezcal is a classic case of any kind of bourbon is a whiskey, but not all whiskeys are classified as bourbons. All tequilas are mezcals, but not all mezcals are tequilas. Confused? Let me explain.
Mezcal is made from common agaves like tobalá, tobaziche, tepeztate, arroqueño and espadín. Tequila and mezcal are also distilled differently and made in different regions. If you’d like to learn a great in depth explanation of the difference between the two, check out this Food and Wine article!
How to make a frozen watermelon margarita
- Cut the watermelon. Slice the watermelon into 1 or 2 inch chunks.
- Combine everything in the blender. Toss in the strawberries, lime juice, simple syrup, and ice. Next, turn the blender to the highest setting and allow the margarita to blend until it has an Icee like consistency.
- Serve. Pour into individual glasses and serve with wedges of lime, fresh mint, and a straw! Mangia!
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Mojo Chicken (baked, grilled, or stovetop!)
- Chicken Margherita(grilled, baked, or stove top!)
- Small Apartment Design
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Frozen Strawberry Watermelon Margaritas
Enjoy these frozen strawberry watermelon margaritas that combines fresh, sweet watermelon, strawberries, lime juice, and tequila! This easy blender made drink will impress the crowd!
- 3 cups watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup Mezcal
- 3 tbsp simple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 6-7 cups ice
Cut the watermelon. Cut the watermelon from the rind, then chop into 1 inch pieces.
Add everything to the blender. Place the watermelon, strawberries, lime juice, mezcal, simple syrup, and ice in a blender, and blend until is is smooth and has an Icee like consistency.
Serve. Pour into indivudal glasses and add garnishes like fresh mint, lime wedges, and a straw. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!