Palomas are an easy 3 ingredient drink that is ultra refreshing and so delicious! Tequila, grapefruit soda, and a squeeze of lime are all you need for this super simple drink!
This Paloma recipe was given to me by my wonderful brother in law, Fernando, who bartends in Cancun, MX. This is a tourist favorite because it is super refreshing, ready in minutes, and is a great budget-friendly way to entertain.
What makes these Palomas so good
- They are super easy to make. I love putting together super delicious drinks that will really impress my company, and these Palomas are it! They are quick and easy to make and are ready in minutes! No kitchen messes, just pour and serve!
- They are super refreshing! Grapefruit soda and lime juice pair perfectly and mask the taste of tequila well, so be careful, because these go down realllll smooth! This is the perfect drink to enjoy on a hot summer day because it’s bubbly, slightly sweet, and tangy!
- Palomas are made with three ingredients. Who doesn’t love an impressive and budget-friendly drink?! Palomas are made with only three ingredients: grapefruit juice, tequila, and a squeeze of lime juice. Super simple, right?!
What’s in this Paloma cocktail recipe?
Grapefruit soda- I prefer to use Fresca soda because it is sweet and tangy! You can find Fresca soda in most well-stocked grocery stores.
Tequila– I have used both tequila blanco and reposado tequila- both are delicious with these Palomas. I like using tequilas that are in the mid-range for price, my favorite it El Espolòn Tequila because it’s smooth, budget-friendly, and can be found in almost any liquor store.
Lime juice– A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds a little sour tanginess to the Palomas that is undeniably delicious! You can also use a lime wedge to rub around the rim of the glass so you can salt the rim ( spoiler alert: I use Tajin!).
No soda, no problem. You can use freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and sparkling water to make this a sugar free Paloma cocktail. I recommend adding 1/4 cup of grapefruit juice to each individual cup and topping it off with sparkling water in lue of grapefruit soda.
Salt the rim. I like to glide a lime wedge around the rim of the glass, then dunk the glass in flaky salt or Tajin seasoning. This adds a super elegant and tasty touch to these Palomas!
Garnish the Palomas. You can add a garnish of fresh mint sprigs, lime wedges, or sliced grapefruit to add beautiful pops of color! It’s a simple extra step that really elevates this Paloma cocktail recipe!
Serve it cold. I like to serve these Palomas extra chilled, so I recommend freezing the tequila and your glasses, refrigerating the Squirt soda, and adding plenty of ice to the glass! These Palomas are even more refreshing when they are served ice cold!
How to make this Paloma cocktail recipe
- Salt the rim of the glass. Rub a lime around the rim of the glass. Pour salt or Tajin in a small bowl, then dunk the rim of the glass in the bowl, making sure to evenly coat the rim.
- Add the ice. Place a few ice cubes in the glasses.
- Pour the drink! Add the tequila to each glass, squeeze a little lime juice, then top off with the grapefruit soda. Serve!
More summertime cocktails
- 8 oz grapefruit soda
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Optional: salt the rim
- 1/4 cup flaky salt OR Tajin seasoning
- lime wedges
- Rub a lime wedge around the edge of a drinking glass.
- Pour the salt or Tajin seasoning into a small bowl. Dip the rim of the drinking glass into the salt.
- Add ice to the glass. Pour the tequila, lime juice, and soda over the ice. Stir lightly and serve. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.