Cuban mojo chicken is marinated in a tropical citrus mixture that is bursting with delicious flavor. The chicken is incredibly tender and juicy and can be added to make a mojo chicken and rice bowl!Jump to Recipe
I’ve partnered with Smart Chicken to bring you this delicious chicken recipe! All opinions are genuine and mine.
What makes this mojo chicken so good
- The marinade is insanely delicious. This Cuban mojo marinade is bursting with fresh flavors like lime, orange, garlic, cumin, and cilantro. It’s super quick and easy to make this mojo marinade, which is why we’ve been eating this dish on repeat!
- The chicken is ultra tender. I love using Smart Chicken chicken breasts because they are always super juicy and tender! The marinade is made with tropical citrus, which is acidic and helps tenderize the chicken breasts even more! Talk about mouth watering!
- It’s super versatile. I love this mojo chicken because it is a fast cooking protein that goes well with many side dishes. You can make this ahead of time for weekday lunches, or even kick it up a notch and turn it into a mojo chicken rice bowl (instructions included in the recipe!).
Key ingredients for mojo chicken
Smart Chicken Chicken Breasts– I always make sure my freezer and fridge are full of Smart Chicken chicken breasts because of its supreme quality, taste, and ethics. The chicken breasts are always perfectly trimmed, super tender, and very juicy! Order Smart Chicken online and get it delivered straight to your door!
Citrus fruits– Orange and lime juice are the key components of this ultra-fresh mojo marinade. Since the citrus juice is acidic, it actually helps tenderize the chicken and keep it nice and juicy!
Seasoning– Ground cumin and oregano add the right amount of flavor to the mojo marinade so your chicken is perfectly seasoned.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can marinate the chicken breasts for up to 24 hours, but it’s important to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes for the best flavor. Marinating the chicken will not only lock in flavor but will also ensure the chicken is super tender and ultra juicy.
- Use fresh citrus fruits. Freshly squeezed orange juice is best for this recipe because it is less concentrated than store bought orange juice and does not contain added sugar. Fresh orange and lime juice have super fresh flavors that you want to capture in your mojo chicken!
Why I love Smart Chicken
I really enjoy buying quality ingredients from businesses like Smart Chicken that openly display their process and ethics. My family values Smart Chicken because of its integrity and dedication to raising healthy chickens with humane practices. It is important to me that my family is fed with supreme quality, which is why time after time, I choose Smart Chicken products.
Smart Chicken has revolutionized the way chickens are processed in the United States by becoming the first in the country to introduce the European method of air chilling. Once the chickens are processed, they are individually circulated through an air-chilled room rather than chilled in cold water. This ensures the chicken will never absorb chlorinated water and since the chickens never touch each other, the risk of cross-contamination is reduced.
Smart Chicken has been built from the ground up with the chicken’s welfare and superior quality as their number one goal. Every chicken product is packaged neatly and conveniently. The chicken is always perfectly trimmed, ultra-tender, and super juicy. There simply are no comparisons! Read all about Smart Chicken’s story and ethics here!
How to make mojo chicken
- Make the marinade. Combine the olive oil, lime juice, orange juice, orange zest, cilantro, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper in a large Zip Lock bag. Remove 1/3 cup of the marinade and place it in a separate container, then place it in the fridge.
- Marinate the chicken. Add the chicken breasts to the marinade, then squeeze the air out of the bag as you seal it. Place the mojo chicken in the fridge and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Grill instructions: Preheat the grill on medium high heat. Grill the chicken on each side for 5-6 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes. Drizzle with the reserved mojo marinade.
Oven instructions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, then place it in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes (or until it has reached the internal temperature of 165 degrees). Drizzle with the reserved mojo marinade.
Stovetop instructions: Place a large pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Sear the chicken on each side for 4-5 minutes until it has reached the internal temperature of 165 degrees. Drizzle with the reserved mojo marinade.
- Make it into a mojo chicken bowl. Place brown rice in the bottom of a bowl. Cut the chicken into strips, then add it to the bowl. Build your bowl with ingredients like black beans, southwest corn, avocados, tortilla strips, and wedges of lime.
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Cuban mojo chicken is marinated in a tropical citrus mixture that is bursting with delicious flavor. The chicken is incredibly tender and juicy and can be added to make a mojo chicken and rice bowl!
- 1 lb Smart Chicken chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
To make a mojo chicken bowl
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup canned southwest corn drained
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado sliced
Combine the olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, orange juice, orange zest, salt, oregano, cumin, and garlic in a large bowl or Zip Lock bag. Save 1/3 cup of the marinade and place it in the fridge in a separate container.
Place the chicken breasts in the mojo marinade and make sure they are submerged. Place the mojo chicken in the fridge and allow it to marinade for 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
Preheat the grill on medium high. Place the chicken breasts on the grill and grill on each side for 5-8 minutes (depending on thickness) until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Brush the remaining marinade on the chicken every 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill, allow it to rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve. Top with the reserved mojo marinade.
Preheat the oven the 425 degrees. Place the chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, then bake for 15-18 minutes, until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Top with the reserved mojo marinade.
Place a large pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan once it is hot. Place the chicken in the pan and sear on each side for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees (about 5 minutes). Top with the reserved mojo marinade.
To make a mojo chicken rice bowl:
Add the brown rice to the bottom of the bowl. Slice the chicken into bite size pieces, then add it to the bowl. Add the black beans, corn, avocado slices, and tomatoes to the bowl, then drizzle the reserved mojo marinade on top. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!