This one skillet Loaded Breakfast Scramble has heaps of spinach, eggs and sausage to give you the best flavors and nutrients the morning has to offer! Sun dried tomatoes and paprika sets this recipe aside from the rest!
There is one thing that is certain in the house. The kids love eggs. Scrambled, fried, boiled, it doesn’t matter, they will eat it. Breakfast scramble with sausage is taken up a notch by sneaking heaps of spinach and diced bell peppers. I’m all for sneaking in vegetables when you can!
- Choice of Sausage: While Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage is recommended for its sweet and savory flavor, you can substitute with your preferred sausage variant or even a vegan alternative.
- Consistent Heating: Ensure even cooking by maintaining a medium heat throughout. Overheating the skillet can overcook or even burn the eggs.
- Egg Whisking: Whisking the eggs thoroughly aerates them, making your scramble fluffier.
- Freshness Counts: Using fresh, high-quality ingredients always makes a difference. Fresh spinach and bell peppers tend to be crisper and juicier, which enhances the texture and flavor.
- Start by searing the sausage: This seasons the pan, gives the sausage a nice crunch, and gives you time to prepare the next step- the eggs.
- Rough chop the spinach and sun dried tomatoes: It doesn’t have to be super finely chopped since it will wilt while it cooks with the eggs.
- Don’t forget the milk: Adding milk to eggs makes them fluffy and flavorful!
- Save the arugula for last: Use to arugula to top off the dish, adding a little bit of color and peppery flavor!
- Eggs: They’re the star of the show. High in protein and versatile, eggs are a breakfast staple.
- Chicken and Apple Sausage: This sausage brings a unique blend of savory chicken and sweet apple flavors, creating a delightful taste contrast.
- Spinach: Fresh spinach is not only nutritious but wilts nicely in the scramble, providing a soft texture contrast.
- Bell Pepper: Adds a touch of sweetness and a crispy texture.
- Milk: Makes your eggs creamier and fluffier when whisked in.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: These bring a concentrated, tangy tomato flavor which complements the overall dish.
- Paprika: This mild spice provides warmth and color.
- Arugula: A peppery green that’s best added fresh, providing a contrast to the richness of the eggs and sausage.
- Vegan Breakfast Scramble: Substitute the eggs with tofu and use vegan sausage. Replace milk with almond or soy milk.
- Spicy Scramble: Add more red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Cheesy Delight: Mix in some cheddar or feta cheese for a richer flavor and creamier texture.
- Prepare the Skillet:
- Begin by placing your cast iron skillet on the stove and warming it over a medium flame.
- If your skillet tends to stick, add a tiny drizzle of olive oil or a small pat of butter to ensure easy cooking and flavor enhancement.
- Searing the Sausage:
- While the skillet warms, slice the Aidells Chicken and Apple sausages into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Once the skillet is sufficiently hot, add the sausage pieces. Let them sizzle and sear without moving them for about 3 minutes. This will give them a nice, crispy exterior.
- Turn the sausages to sear the other side for another 3 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly crispy.
- After they’re beautifully seared, remove the sausages and set them aside on a plate.
- Preparing the Egg Mixture:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, start by cracking the eggs. Remember to discard the shells.
- Add the milk to the eggs which will give your scramble a fluffier texture.
- Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes for a hint of spice. Adjust according to your preference.
- Mix in the sun-dried tomatoes, freshly chopped spinach, and bite-sized bell pepper pieces. Whisk everything together until well combined.
- Cooking the Scramble:
- In the same skillet, with all the flavorful residue from the sausages, pour in the egg mixture.
- Using a spatula, gently stir and push the mixture around, ensuring even cooking.
- As the eggs begin to set, break them up to create that scrambled texture. Continue this process, making sure to cook until there’s no runny or undercooked egg remaining.
- Finishing Touches:
- Once the scrambled eggs are nearly done, reintroduce the seared sausage pieces to the skillet, mixing them in gently.
- Finish by sprinkling fresh arugula on top. The peppery notes of the arugula will complement the rich flavors of the scramble.
- Serve & Enjoy:
- Transfer your loaded breakfast scramble onto plates while still hot.
- Pair with toast, fresh juice, or even a side salad for a complete breakfast. Enjoy your hearty meal!
- Refrigerating: Let your breakfast scramble cool down, then transfer to an airtight container. This can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: For longer storage, freeze individual portions in freezer-safe bags or containers for up to 1 month. Remember to label with the date!
- Reheating: Warm up in a skillet over medium heat or microwave until heated through. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More Breakfast Ideas
- Turkey, egg, and cheese muffins
- Pinkity Drinkity Caffeinated Drink
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Bars
- Breakfast Bruschetta
Loaded Breakfast Scramble
- 4 Aidells Chicken and Apple sausages sliced to 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup spinach rough chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped to bite size pieces
- 1 TBS sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Toss in just a pinch of oil if it needs it. Add the sausage to the pan and sear on each side for 3-5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, crack the eggs and discard the shells. Add the milk, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sun dried tomatoes, spinach and bell pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and place to the side. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, and begin to break up to egg with a spatula. Continue cooking and pushing the egg around the pan until there is there is no more runny and under cooked egg left.
- Add the sausage back to the pan, top with arugula, and serve! Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.