If you’ve ever yearned for a comforting embrace in a drink, look no further than this homemade eggnog. It’s like every sip tells a story of festive family gatherings and precious memories of holidays past. This recipe is like a keepsake passed down through generations – rich, velvety, and full of warmth. I want to share this special treat with you, so come on, let’s craft a mug full of love together!
- For an Even Creamier Eggnog: Consider using full-fat milk or even half-and-half for an ultra-luxurious texture.
- Garnishing: A sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg on top elevates the entire experience.
- Safety First: Ensuring the eggnog reaches 160°F is essential for pasteurizing the mixture, making it safe to consume. Always use a cooking thermometer for accuracy.
- 6 egg yolks: The heart of the eggnog, lending it its luscious creamy texture.
- 2 cups milk: The base of our beverage, making it smooth and drinkable.
- 1 cup whipping cream: Adds a rich and luxurious creaminess to the drink.
- ½ cup granulated sugar: Sweetens the mixture just right, without overpowering the other ingredients.
- 2 cinnamon sticks: Imparts a gentle, spicy warmth.
- ½ tsp vanilla extract: Gives that aromatic sweetness and depth of flavor.
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder: For a subtle spiced kick in every sip.
- ¼ tsp salt: Enhances all the other flavors, making them pop.
- Prep the Yolks: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar, whisking until you get a thick, smooth consistency.
- Warm the Milks: In a saucepan, mix milk, whipping cream, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Heat this concoction just before it boils, then let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Blend Gradually: Slowly add the warm milk mix to the yolks, whisking as you go. This ensures the eggs adapt to the temperature without curdling.
- Cook to Perfection: Return the mixture to the saucepan. Warm it until it hits 160°F, ensuring it’s safe and deliciously creamy. Then, let it cool down.
- Strain and Store: Strain your eggnog to get rid of any lumps or the cinnamon sticks. Pour into a bottle or jug and place in the fridge.
Homemade Eggnog Variations
- Boozy Option: Craving an adult version? Add a splash of rum, bourbon, or brandy to give it a festive kick.
- Dairy-Free: Substitute almond, soy, or oat milk for a dairy-free alternative.
- Refrigerating: Store your eggnog in the refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days for the best flavor and freshness.
- Freezing: Eggnog freezes well! Pour it into ice cube trays, and you can have eggnog ice cubes ready for festive cocktails.
More Tasty Drink Recipes
- Pinkity Drinkity (Copycat Starbucks Strawberry Coconut Caffeinated Pink Drink)
- Frozen Hibiscus Lemonade
- Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
- Copy Cat Starbucks Pineapple Matcha Drink
- Pineapple Peach Agua Fresca
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg yolks and granulated sugar. Whisk them together until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, whipping cream, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Mix everything well.
- Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and warm it up. Just before it starts to boil, turn off the heat. Remove the saucepan from the stove and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the whipped eggs, tablespoon by tablespoon, allowing the eggs to gradually adjust to the temperature. Whisk vigorously while adding the milk.
- Once the milk and eggs are thoroughly combined and whisked, pour everything back into the saucepan. Heat the mixture over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Using a strainer, strain the eggnog into a bottle, ensuring a smooth texture, and refrigerate it to keep it chilled.
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.