Grilled bourbon glazed salmon is juicy, flakey, and so easy to make! The homemade BBQ sauce is tangy and so delicious!Jump to Recipe
Grilled salmon recipe
This grilled bourbon BBQ salmon is DA BOMB! It’s flakey, super tender, and the sauce really just takes it right. over. the. edge! I know you can’t see it, but as I’m telling you this, I’ve got my Italian hands flailing to really drive the point home, just so you know!
The BBQ sauce can be made in advance, and here’s one of my tips to you: make extra! This bourbon BBQ is fixin’ to knock your socks off. It’s tangy, smokey, and just soooo good. Who needs store bought BBQ sauce when you can make this!?
Salmon is super easy and quick to grill, which makes it the perfect weekday dinner! Plus, it’s super healthy! You can easily make this one the stovetop or bake it, so I’ll include all methods of cooking down below!
All I’m saying is.. clear your meal plan and make room for this bourbon glazed salmon! Grilling season is nearing an end (that hurt to say) and the grill really adds a depth of flavor to the BBQ sauce. It’s a match made in heaven.
Bourbon BBQ salmon ingredients
- Fresh salmon- Look for fresh-caught salmon without added color for the best flavor and texture. Farm-raised or frozen salmon
- Bourbon whiskey- Jack Daniels whiskey can be found in just about any package store, but you can use whatever bourbon whiskey your little heart desires!
- Brown sugar- Using brown sugar adds a slight tang to the BBQ sauce because of the molasses.
- Chili sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Seasoning- Garlic powder, dry (ground) mustard, onion powder, and a pinch of cayenne powder brings the perfect balance of flavors to the sauce.
- Worchestire sauce- Say it ten times fast. Ok, good, now add it to the BBQ sauce because it adds a smokey undertone that makes this sauce SLAP.
Make this ahead of time
Since we’ll be making the BBQ sauce from scratch, you can make this ahead of time to save time! Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan, let it simmer for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour, then bottle it and put it in the fridge.
You can keep the BBQ sauce in the fridge for 7-10 days, or you can freeze it for up to 6 months.
If you like cold salmon, you can make this whole dish ahead of time and place it in the fridge to eat later for lunch!
Let it simmer
The BBQ sauce will be very watery when you first combine it in the sauce pan. The sauce needs to simmer for at least 30 minutes or more for it to thicken and become saucy.
Salmon cooks super fast, which is why it’s one of my favorite proteins to cook when I’m looking for a fast and easy meal!
Since salmon cooks really fast, it’s also easy to overcook it and dry it out. You want that flaky, juicy tenderness, not that dry, dense texture.
The cook time will depend on the size of the salmon filet. The golden rule for cooking fish is the 10 minute rule. Cook the fish for ten minutes per 1 inch of fish, making sure to turn it over at the 5 minute mark.
Salmon will be flaky and opaque when it is done cooking. It’s easy to tell cooked salmon from raw salmon because of the texture and color.
How to make Grilled Bourbon Glazed Salmon
- Make the sauce. Combine the bourbon whiskey, brown sugar, chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, dry mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder in a saucepan over medium heat and mix until it’s incorporated. Once the sauce begins to simmer, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and is thicker. Once the sauce is done cooking, remove it from the stove and place it in a heat-safe container. Place 1/3 cup of the sauce in a separate bowl.
- Grill the salmon. Place the salmon filets skin side down on the grill. Brush the reserved BBQ sauce on the fillets with a pastry brush. Cook the salmon for 10 minutes per inch of fish, turning at the 5-minute mark.
- Serve. Plate the salmon and serve with more BBQ sauce. Mangia!
What to serve with BBQ salmon
- This blackened salmon with mango salsa is delicious, easy to make, and packed with flavor!
- Five minute roasted asparagus is easy, fast, and healthy!
- Pan roasted broccoli with garlic is loaded with flavor and goes great with any dish!
- Sweet potato and green beans are tossed in a full-bodied olive oil with raw garlic and fresh thyme, then roasted to perfection! These roasted vegetables are healthy and delicious.
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi Caprese with Asiago Spinach Sausage
- Mojo Chicken (baked, grilled, or stovetop!)
- Chicken Margherita(grilled, baked, or stove top!)
- Small Apartment Design
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Grilled Bourbon Glazed Salmon
Grilled bourbon glazed salmon is juicy, flakey, and so easy to make! The homemade BBQ sauce is tangy and so delicious!
- 1 lb salmon
Bourbon BBQ sauce
- 1 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Make the sauce. Combine the bourbon whiskey, brown sugar, chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a light boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes to an hour. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken. Once it's done cooking, remove the sauce from the heat and put the sauce in a container.
Cook the salmon. Preheat the grill on medium heat. Brush the grill with olive oil, then place the salmon on the grill. Cook the salmon for 10 minutes per inch of fish. Flip the fish halfway through the cooking time. Brush the salmon with more BBQ sauce as it cooks. The salmon will be flaky and opaque when it is done cooking. Remove the salmon from the grill and serve with more BBQ sauce. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!