Chicken and rice casserole is the ultimate southern recipe- straight from Granny’s kitchen! Tender shredded chicken, rice, and cream of mushroom gives this dish a hearty home cookin’ feel.
You’re going to love this chicken rice casserole!
Have you ever tasted a meal that felt like a warm hug? That’s what Granny’s chicken rice casserole does! It’s rich, creamy, warming, and made with love!
This chicken and rice casserole uses simple ingredients like a whole Organic Smart Chicken, rice, cream of chicken, and Organic Garlic Rosemary Bone Broth. The chicken thighs are the star of the show because they are is ultra tender, shreds juicy, and seasoned to perfection!
Chicken casserole is the perfect dish that will please the crowd! This recipe makes more than enough for everyone, so invite your friends and family to the table! Fair warning: the leftovers are insanely delicious!
Chicken casserole key ingredients
Organic boneless skinless chicken thighs– Boneless skinless chicken thighs have the perfect amount of dark and light meat to ensure this chicken rice casserole is super flavorful and meaty.
Organic Garlic Rosemary Bone Broth- I used bone broth to simmer the chicken to give this dish an extra boost of nutrients and flavor. This bone broth is made with Organic Smart Chicken bones, which are slow-simmered with organic herbs and vegetables that adds amazing flavor to this dish.
Rice– White rice, brown rice, or even wild rice is perfect for this recipe! White rice tends to cook faster, so I used it for this recipe. Depending on what kind and brand of rice, you may need additional cooking time for this recipe, up to 25 more minutes.
Cream of chicken– Granny recommends using cream of chicken but you can use cream of onion, cream of celery, etc.
Make it ahead of time
You can easily prepare this dish ahead of time to serve at a later time. This dish reheats really well, so you can make it ahead of time and serve it when you are ready!
Cook this chicken rice casserole recipe in a large oven safe can (like a cast iron), cover the pan with foil, and store it in the fridge for up to three days until you are ready to serve. Simply pop the pan in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minute when you are ready to eat!
What to serve with chicken casserole
How to make this chicken and rice casserole recipe
- Lightly grease the cast iron pan with olive oil on the bottom and the sides. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the pan and season them with seasoning salt, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the rice and parmesan cheese over the chicken.
- Combine the cream of chicken, chicken broth, and chicken bouillon in a small bowl, then pour it into the cast iron pan.
- Cover the pan with tinfoil, then bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, remove the foil, fluff the rice with a fork. Mangia!
How to store and reheat
You can place the chicken rice casserole in an airtight container and place it in the fridge for up to three days.
Place the chicken and rice casserole in an oven safe dish and bake it at 350 degrees for ten minutes, or until it is heated through. You can also just pop it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until it is heated through.
Granny’s Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Small mixing bowl
- large oven safe pan
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cup garlic rosemary bone broth
- 10 oz cream of chicken
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- Lightly grease a large oven safe pan on the bottom and sides with your preferred cooking oil.
- Place the chicken thighs in the pan, then season them with the seasoning salt, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the rice and parmesan cheese on top of the chicken thighs.
- Combine the chicken bone broth, cream of chicken, and chicken bouillon in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the chicken and rice
- Cover the pan with tin foil, then bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on the brand of rice, so test the rice, then add up to 25 more additional minutes if needed. Remove the pan from the oven, remove the foil, and fluff the rice with a fork. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.