Italian sub pizza is packed with all your favorite sub fixings like Italian cured meats, onions, olives, bell pepper, and banana peppers. This pizza is loaded and super delicious!Jump to Recipe
Italian sub pizza- made easy!
Have you caught on to my insanely deep love for Italian subs? They are packed with all my favorite cured Italian meats like mortadella, hot capicola, salami, and pepperoni. Sliced banana peppers, olives, red onion, and fresh bell pepper make this pizza have a little crunch and BIG flavor.
This Italian sub pizza is a New York style pizza- why eat pizza if it’s not New York style?! The crust is fluffy and crispy, while the center of the pizza is thin, but strong enough to hold all these layers of flavorful Italian favorites.
The toppings possibilities are endless. You can add a mixture of your favorite Italian meats, any kind of olives, colorful bell peppers, and even top this pizza off with iceberg lettuce if you want that extra crunch!
This might make me sound like an absolutely Bostonian, but don’t be afraid to crank a little Frank Sinatra and pour yourself a little glass of red wine while tossin’ this pizza! Enjoy yourself, and all these wonderful flavors! Homemade pizza is seriously the best!
Italian sub pizza ingredients
The pizza dough
- All purpose flour
- Honey or sugar
- Active yeast
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Pizza sauce
- Mozarella cheese
- Hot capicola
- Banana pepper rings
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Lettuce (optional)
- Get the meats at the deli. If you don’t want a massive amount of Italian cured meats, ask your deli to slice a few pieces for each meat. This will save you money and allow more flexibility in which meats you can choose from.
- Make it spicy. If you like your Italian subs or pizza more on the spicy side, consider adding more red pepper flakes to the pizza sauce, and topping your pizza with more red pepper flakes after it’s done cooking.
- Use a pizza stone. When you preheat the oven, throw your pizza stone in. A pizza stone is made of clay, marble, fire brick, or tile, and can be heated to high temperatures. When a pizza is baked on a pizza stone, the crust is crispier because the pizza stone is hot and evenly heated.
- Use a sharp pizza cutter. Since this pizza is so loaded with toppings, it’s best to use a sharp pizza cutter to make sure it cuts through everything without causing a mess.
How to make an Italian sub pizza
- Make the pizza dough and sauce. Combine the all purpose flour, salt, honey/sugar, water, yeast, and seasonings in a stand mixer. Use the dough hook and mix the dough for about 7 minutes to activate the gluten. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and place a damp towel on top. Place the bowl in a warm, draft free area and allow the dough to rise for 2 hours. Make the sauce by pouring a can of crushed tomatoes into a medium sized pot. Add the salt, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and other seasonings to the pot and let it simmer for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Prepare the pizza dough and toppings. Punch the pizza dough down in the bowl. Turn the pizza dough out onto a cornmeal covered counter. Divide the pizza dough into three medium sized balls. Fold the pizza dough so it becomes a ball shape with the seams placed underneath. Place a wet towel on the dough balls you are not working with. Cut all the pizza topping ingredients into small, bite sized pieces.
- Make the pizza. Roll the pizza dough out onto of plenty of cornmeal, then punch it in the center. Turn the dough onto the other side
How to store and reheat pizza
Store pizza in the fridge by staking and wrapping the pizza. Stack the pizza by alternating between pizza and a piece of parchment paper. This ensures your pizza will be intact and the texture will be on point when you want to reheat it (or eat it cold!).
Reheat pizza by placing the pizza slices on a baking sheet and placing in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
What to serve with Italian sub pizza
- Oven roasted asparagus is such an easy side dish that is healthy, delicious, and fast cooking.
- This quick side dish results in crispy pan fried broccoli florets that are equally healthy and addicting! Robust olive oil and raw garlic adds a perfect touch of flavor.
- These White Wine and Lemon Roasted Artichoke Halves are packed with flavor and nutrition. With complimenting hints of white wine and lemon, with lemon zest, the artichokes are juicy and delicious!
- Sweet potato and green beans are tossed in a full-bodied olive oil with raw garlic and fresh thyme, then roasted to perfection! These roasted vegetables are healthy and delicious.
- This delicious tossed salad is jam packed with all the best Italian sub ingredients and drizzled with a homemade vinaigrette- without the bread!
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Tropical Summer Sangria
- Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa and Coconut rice
- Roasted Summer Squash
- Cajun Shrimp Boil Foil Packets
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Italian Sub Pizza
- 1 pizza dough recipe
- 1 pizza sauce (recipe found on pizza dough recipe link)
- 2 slices mortadella
- 2 slices hot capicola
- 2-3 oz salami
- 2-3 oz pepperoni
- 2 oz hot pepper rings
- 1/2 red onion cut into thin stips
- black olives sliced
- 1/2 bell pepper cut in to thin strips
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese diced
- 8 oz shredded mozarella cheese
Make the pizza dough and allow it to rise for two hours. Prepare the pizza sauce.
Slice all the toppings into thin, bite sized pieces. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Spread the pizza dough onto a pizza pan in a round 12 inch circle. Spread 3-4 tablespoons of pizza sauce into the pizza, leaving in inch around the edged for the crust.
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the pizza, then place the provolone cheese on top. Add all the Italian meats and produce. Place in oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Cut the pizza using a sharp pizza cutter. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!