Deep Fried Neapolitan Pizza is made from a potato based dough that is then deep fried and topped and baked with fresh tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese.
Deep fried pizza
I bet you’ve never had a deep fried pizza made from a potato based dough before! When I tell you this is the best pizza you’ll ever have, I mean it!
First, we make the dough. Potatoes are peeled, diced, boiled, then mashes. Easy peasy. Next, we toss all the ingredients together and mix until it becomes a sticky dough. The dough is flattened into little pizza discs, then deep fried.
Yes, the pizza is deep fried. Everyone likes potatoes, and everyone likes pizza… combining the two is just.. heaven. After the pizza is deep fried, its baked with fresh roma tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese. It’s simply fabulous.
Deep fried neapolitan pizza ingredients
- Potatoes- Russet potatoes or gold Yukon potatoes will be perfect.
- Flour- Use all purpose flour to make this recipe even easier!
- Eggs- This recipe uses egg yolks and whole eggs.
- Sugar- Just a pinch of sugar will perfectly balance this dough.
- Frying oil- Vegetable or canola oil are both perfect for deep frying this pizza.
- Roma tomatoes- Pick out fragrant or very red roma tomatoes.
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese- Finely grated Parmesan cheese is needed for this recipe since it goes in the dough, too.
- Wash, peel, dice, and boil the potatoes. Dice the potatoes into small 1 inch cubes so they will cook quicker.
- Use a blender to finely grate the parmesan cheese. If your store does not carry grated Parmesan cheese, buy the shredded kind, then throw it in a blender to get it very fine.
- This dough will be sticky. You will question if you’ve made this recipe correctly…and you did! The dough will be super sticky, so coat your hands and work surface in flour. Dump the dough out on the floured work surface, and then divide it into smaller balls. Keep coating the balls in the flour to prevent it from sticking to everything. The key is lots and lots of extra flour.
- Get your oil hot. You want your frying oil to be at least 350 degrees and up to 375 degrees. While the potatoes are boiling, start to heat up your oil since it will take about 20 minutes to heat up to the proper temperature.
How to make a deep fried pizza
- Make the dough. Boil the potatoes, then mash them so there are hardly any chunks. Use a potato masher first, then once they are mostly mashed, use a fork to make sure the chunks are mashed up. Combine the mashed potatoes with the flour, eggs, and sugar, and a bit of parmesan cheese. You can either do this in a stand mixer or mix it by hand. The dough will be super sticky, so coat your hands in flour when you are ready to handle it.
- Shape the dough. Did I mention you need lots of flour? Ok, good. Dump out roughly a cup of flour onto your work surface and scatter is. Place your dough onto your floured work surface and divide it into 8 small balls. Smoosh the balls into 5 inch round pizza “discs”.
- Deep fry the pizza. Fill a pot with 4-5 inches of oil over medium heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees. Place one pizza disc in the hot oil at a time. Fry each pizza dough disc until they are golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Sauté the basil and tomatoes. Slice the tomatoes in half, then deseed them. Dice the tomatoes and basil into small pieces. Sauté the tomatoes and basil over medium heat with a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt. Cook the tomatoes until they are softened just a little bit, about 2-3 minutes.
- Bake the pizza. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Top the deep fried pizza with the sautéd tomatoes and basil, then sprinkle them with grated parmesan cheese. Bake the pizzas for 10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and try your best to wait until it cooks to dig in. Mangia!
What to serve with deep fried pizza
- Oven roasted asparagus is such an easy side dish that is healthy, delicious, and fast cooking.
- This quick side dish results in crispy pan fried broccoli florets that are equally healthy and addicting! Robust olive oil and raw garlic adds a perfect touch of flavor.
- These White Wine and Lemon Roasted Artichoke Halves are packed with flavor and nutrition. With complimenting hints of white wine and lemon, with lemon zest, the artichokes are juicy and delicious!
- Sweet potato and green beans are tossed in a full-bodied olive oil with raw garlic and fresh thyme, then roasted to perfection! These roasted vegetables are healthy and delicious.
Deep Fried Neapolitan Pizza
- 1 lb russet potatoes (about 3 potatoes), washed, peeled, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp white cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 salt
- 5 Roma tomatoes deseeded, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- frying oil canola or vegetable oil
- Heat the oil. Fill a heavy bottomed frying pot with about 4 inches of vegetable or canola oil. Heat the oil over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees.
- Make the dough. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the diced potatoes to the boiling water and cook until a fork can easily pierce them, about 5-10 minutes. Mash the potatoes with a fork or a potato masher until there are no chunks. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the potatoes, flour, eggs, egg yolks, 3 tbsp of parmesan cheese, and sugar. Mix the dough until it comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
- Shape the dough. Pour and scatter about 1 cup of flour onto your work surface. Flour your hands. Dump the pizza dough onto the floured work surface and divide the dough into 8 small balls. Use your hands to flatten the dough into 5 inch discs. Use more flour if needed.
- Deep fry the pizza. Place one pizza disc in the frying oil at a time. Deep fry on each side for 3-5 minutes, until they are golden brown. Remove the pizza discs and place them on a paper towel lined plate.
- Sauté the "sauce". In a small pan, heat a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and basil, then a dash of salt. Sauté the tomato mixture until they are slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Bake the pizzas. Lay the pizza discs on a baking sheet. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of the tomato mixture on to the top of the pizzas, then sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese. Bake the pizzas for 10 minutes, then slice and serve. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.