Fall is here, even though the weather may still feel like summer. On those busy days where children demand your attention and dinner must be ready in a hurry, the Instant Pot becomes a lifesaver. This white chicken chili recipe is simple, delicious, and quick, with fresh ingredients and amazing flavors. Even if you have frozen chicken, this meal can be served in less than an hour
How to make White Chicken Chili?
Step 1: Roast the Produce for Salsa Verde
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel off husks of tomatillos and slice them in half.
- Slice the onion into quarters.
- Chop the top (1/2 inch) off the garlic head.
- Slice the jalapeno in half.
- Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapeno on a sheet pan and place in the oven.
- Cook until the edges of everything are blackened a little (roughly 20 minutes).
Step 2: Blend the Salsa Verde
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the head and place them into a blender.
- Add the tomatillos, onion, jalapeno, and 1/2 cup of cilantro to the blender, and blend until smooth.
Step 3: Cook the White Chicken Chili
- Once the salsa verde has been blended together, place the mixture into the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken (it can be completely frozen!), chicken broth, beans, corn, and seasonings. Mix to combine.
- Once mixed, place the Instant Pot lid on and secure it properly.
- Adjust the Instant Pot to normal pressure for thirty minutes, and begin cooking.
- Once the timer has gone off, quick-release the Instant Pot.
- Remove the lid once all the pressure has been released, and serve! Enjoy!
How to serve White Chicken Chili
- I’m addicted to home made sour dough bread! Any kind of crusty bread will pair perfectly with this hearty meal like my Crusty French Bread Rolls.
- Rice is so versatile, you can never go wrong! You can really stretch this meal out with some rice at the bottom of your bowl.
- Top the salsa verde white chicken chili with your favorite toppings like sour cream, cheese, cilantro, hot sauce, tortilla chips, and lime!
How to thicken White Chicken Chili
- Adding a tablespoon of cornmeal can help thicken the chili and give it a bit of texture. This totally adds a nice southwest flare!
- Whip up a bit of some cornstarch slurry to thicken the chili base.
- Before Topping: Freeze the chili before adding any toppings like cheese or sour cream.
- Cool Completely: Allow the chili to cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers.
- Portioning: Divide the chili into individual portions for quick weekday meals.
- Seal Tight: Use airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags to prevent freezer burn.
- Reheating: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or microwave. You might need to add a bit of water or broth to bring it back to the desired consistency.
- Cool Down: Let the chili cool down to room temperature.
- Store: Place the chili in an airtight container.
- Keep Fresh: Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave, stirring occasionally.
- Customize: Feel free to add other vegetables like bell peppers or additional spices to suit your taste.
- Meat Alternatives: You can use turkey or pork as an alternative to chicken, or even go meatless with more beans.
- Fresh Produce: Using fresh tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos can make a significant difference in the flavor of your salsa verde.
- Slow Cooker and Stovetop: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t fret. You can make this recipe in a slow cooker by cooking on low for 6-8 hours or on the stovetop by simmering for 1-2 hours.
- Serving Suggestions: Pairing this chili with a fresh salad or a side of steamed vegetables can make for a well-rounded meal.
- Garnish: For an extra pop of color and freshness, garnish the chili with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley just before serving.
- Crusty French Bread Rolls
- Rosemary Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Winter Citrus Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
Instant Pot Salsa Verde White Chicken Chili
- 5 tomatillos
- 1 white onion
- 1 head garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 cup cilantro/culantro
- 1 can corn
- 2 cans Great Northern beans
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel off husks of tomatillos, and slice in half. Slice the onion into quarters. Chop the top (1/2 inch) off the garlic head. Slice the jalapeno in half. Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapeno on a sheet pan and place in the oven. cook until the edges of everything are blackened a little (roughly 20 minutes).
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven once the edges of everything are blackened. Remove the garlic cloves from the head and place into a blender. Add the tomatillos, onion, jalapeno, and 1/2 cup of cilantro to the blender, and blend until smooth.
- Once the salsa verde has been blended together, place the mixture into the instant pot. Add the chicken (it can be completely frozen!), chicken both, beans, corn, and seasonings. Mix to combine.
- Once the white chicken chili has been mixed, place the instant pot lid on, and secure it properly. Adjust the Intant pot to normal pressure for thirty minutes, and begin cooking. Once the timer has gone off, quick release the Instant Pot.
- Remove lid once all the pressure has been released, and serve! Enjoy!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.