Smoky chickpeas and kale are sauteed with aromatic spices for a deep flavor with a healthy twist. This vegan rice bowl is simple and delicious.Jump to Recipe
Smoky Chickpea Rice bowl with Kale
I have the perfect meatless meal for you- and it’s packed with protein and loads of flavor! This dish is super easy to make, comes together in minutes, and is so satisfying!
Chickpeas are packed with protein! Each ounce contains three grams of protein, which makes this a perfect meat substitute. The smoky aromatic spices really will draw your attention to how perfect the chickpeas and kale go together.
Making rice bowls is a simple solution to meatless meals. Everyone loves a good rice dish! This smoky chickpea rice bowl is just a step up! Twenty minutes from start to finish, and you have a nutritious, veggie-packed meal on the table!
Ingredients to make smoky chickpea rice bowl
- White Rice– Uncle Ben’s white rice is a great brand that is available in most grocery stores. The rice cooks quickly, easily, and is always a great and consistent texture.
- Chickpeas- Canned chickpeas work great for this recipe and really help make this meal a quick and easy recipe!
- Kale- A fresh bunch of crunchy kale really is the highlight of this recipe!
- Spices- A little onion, garlic, oregano, chipotle and smoked paprika powder is all you need for this smoky chickpea rice bowl!
Toast the spices
After heating the pan with a little olive oil, toss in the spices and let them get nice and toasty for a minute or two. You’ll notice the aromatic smell is absolutely tantalizing. Stay with me here!
Add more kale
Cook more kale than you think you are going to eat. The kale will wilt and shrink in size. I usually use the whole bunch of kale for this recipe.
How to make smoky chickpea rice bowls
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. I like to use Uncle Ben’s rice since it is so predictable and a very forgiving rice. It does not get mushy very easily.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan. The pan should be large enough so the chickpeas and kale does not overcrowd the space.
- Toast the spices in the pan. Add the spices to the olive oil in the pan and allow them to to smell up your whole house with their aromatic goodness.
- Drain the chickpeas and add them to the pan. Canned chickpeas are the best to use because all you have to do is drain them and toss them in the pan!
- Chop the kale and add to the pan. Cut the stem out of the middle of the kale, then chop it into bite sized pieces. Add the kale the to pan, then add a tablespoon of water. Place the lid on the pan and let the kale and chickpeas cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve it up. First, place the rice in the bottom of your bowl. Add the kale and chickpeas and top with wedges of lemon for additional flavor. Mangia!
How to store smokey chickpea rice bowls
In the fridge
Store the smokey chickpea rice bowl in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
In the freezer
You can store your smoky chickpea rice bowl in the freezer if you can’t finish it within three days of fridge time. Put the rice bowl in an air tight, freezer safe glass container and freeze for up to 6 months. Remember to label it with the date and name!
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi Caprese with Asiago Spinach Sausage
- Mojo Chicken (baked, grilled, or stovetop!)
- Chicken Margherita(grilled, baked, or stove top!)
- Small Apartment Design
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Smoky Chickpea and Kale Rice Bowl
Smoky chickpeas and kale are sauteed with aromatic spices for a deep flavor with a healthy twist. This vegan rice bowl is simple and delicious.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 2 cups packed kale stems removed, chopped to bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 TBS water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Heat 2 cups of water in a small pot to a roaring boil. Add 1 cup of rice and cook it according to package instructions.
In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add all the spices and let them toast in the pan for one or two minutes.
Drain the chickpeas and give them a good rinse. Add the chickpeas to the pan of spices and stir them to coat them evenly.
De-stem the kale and chop it into bite sized pieces. Add the kale to the pan and stir well. Add 1 TBS of water to the pan to help steam the kale, and immediately cover with the lid. Cook for 5 minutes.
When the rice is done cooking, fluff it with a fork. Add rice to the bottom of your serving bowls, then top with the smoky chickpeas and kale. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!