Creamy Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs has all the flavors of your favorite Thai dishes! The chicken meatballs are moist and packed with flavor, enhancing the smooth curry sauce.
I decided it was time to use some dried curry powder I kept hidden in the back of my spice cabinet. This dinner completely revitalized my palate and impressed me even more when there were ZERO leftovers!
These creamy curry chicken meatballs were amazing because they were bite-sized AND packed with tons of flavor and a vegetable! It has a delicious and smooth tasting curry that anyone can enjoy.
These chicken meatballs were quick to throw together and only took 15 minutes to bake! They are packed with herbs and deliver a seriously delicious bite!
- Flavor Enhancements:
- Add a splash of fish sauce to the curry sauce for an umami boost. Fish sauce is commonly used in Thai cooking and can elevate the flavor profile.
- Lemongrass is another great addition. It offers a citrusy aroma and can be added to the sauce for an authentic Thai flavor.
- Texture Tip:
- If you find your meatball mixture too wet, add additional breadcrumbs a tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Adjusting Heat:
- If you’re someone who loves more heat, consider adding finely chopped Thai bird chilies to the sauce. Conversely, if you’re serving a crowd that’s sensitive to spice, you can reduce or omit the red pepper flakes.
- Freshness is Key:
- Whenever possible, use freshly ground spices as they will give a more pronounced flavor. Similarly, using fresh garlic and ginger, minced or grated, can enhance the flavors further.
- Presentation Matters:
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves or chopped scallions for a burst of color and freshness.
- Side Dish: These meatballs go perfectly with jasmine or basmati rice. Consider also pairing with some steamed veggies or a crisp Thai cucumber salad.
- Drink: A light beer or white wine such as Riesling complements the flavors perfectly. For a non-alcoholic option, consider Thai iced tea.
For the meatballs
- Ground Chicken: Lean meat is the best choice to keep the meatballs tender.
- Carrot: Shredded finely for texture and a subtle sweet taste. You could also add zucchini or other soft vegetables.
- Egg: Acts as a binder. If allergic, you can use a flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 tbsp water).
- Breadcrumbs: Holds the meatball together. For a gluten-free option, consider gluten-free breadcrumbs or ground oats.
- Soy Sauce: Adds a salty and umami flavor. Tamari or coconut aminos can be used for a soy-free or gluten-free alternative.
- Herbs and Spices: These provide the meatballs with their distinctive flavor. Feel free to adjust the quantities based on preference.
For the curry sauce
- Coconut Milk (full fat): This gives the sauce its creamy texture. For a lighter version, you can use lite coconut milk, but the sauce will be less creamy.
- Peanut Butter: Adds a rich and nutty flavor to the sauce. Almond butter or tahini can be substitutes if there are nut allergies.
- Lime: Freshly squeezed is best for a tangy flavor. Lemon can be used as an alternative, but lime is more authentic.
- Flour: Used to thicken the sauce. If you want a gluten-free option, consider using cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
- Herbs and Spices: These infuse the sauce with a warm and aromatic flavor. Adjust according to personal preference.
Optional Add-ins and Substitutions
- Fish Sauce: A splash can enhance the umami taste in the curry sauce.
- Lemongrass: Adds a citrusy aroma to the sauce. You can use fresh or frozen stalks, pounded and simmered in the sauce.
- Fresh Garlic and Ginger: Minced or grated, they can enhance the flavors further compared to their powdered versions.
- Thai Bird Chilies: Finely chopped for those who prefer a spicier kick.
- Gluten-free: Ensure you’re using gluten-free breadcrumbs and soy sauce (or use tamari as an alternative).
- Nut-Free: Skip the peanut butter and substitute with tahini or sunflower seed butter.
How to make chicken meatballs in curry sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground chicken, a shredded carrot, bread crumbs, soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, turmeric, and salt.
- Mix the ingredients until everything is combined. Using a tablespoon, measure each meatball and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs for 15 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat coconut milk over medium heat. Add lime juice, peanut butter, garlic powder, ground ginger, curry powder, turmeric, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a light boil. Place flour in a strainer, and shake over the pan while stirring to incorporate. Stir the sauce, and continue cooking for 5 minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven, serve over rice, and spoon sauce over the dish. Mangia!
Storing and Leftovers
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop meat into the spoon, roll into balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Give each meatball space, and freeze in a single layer.
- Freeze for 12 hours, then remove the meatballs from the baking sheet and place into a freezer-safe container or plastic bag.
- Place the desired amount of meatballs for a single serving in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the meatballs for 3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Place meatballs in an oven-safe dish, and heat for 10 minutes.
More International Cuisine
- Vegetable Stir Fry
- Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Margarita Guacamole
- Peruvian Spatchcock Chicken with Aji Verde Sauce
- Easy Korean Beef Bowl
Creamy Curry Chicken Meatballs
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS cilantro
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the curry sauce:
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat) 14 oz.
- 1 TBS peanut butter
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS flour
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, finely shredded carrot, cilantro, ginger, garlic, cumin, turmeric, red pepper flakes, salt and soy sauce. Mix until combined thoroughly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, measure out each meatball and roll into a ball. Give each meatball about 1-inch space in between.
- Place meatballs in the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, begin making the sauce. Place a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add coconut milk, lime juice, peanut butter, curry powder, garlic powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Sprinkle flour over the sauce while whisking to combine. Bring to a light boil and allow to cook until meatballs are done.
- When meatballs are done baking, remove from the oven and place them in the saucepan. Stir to combine. Serve and enjoy. Mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.