This cheesy baked tortellini with chicken gratinati has juicy seared chicken breasts and is loaded with cheese! This hearty dish is easy and quick to prepare and ultra delicious!Jump to Recipe
I have fully indulged in all the hearty, delicious fall/ winter time meals, and I refuse to apologize! It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
I love tortellini so much that this recipe was featured on Fox News for National Tortellini Day (Feb 13). This is one of those meals you can eat on repeat because it’s so easy, made with simple ingredients, and any kind of baked tortellini recipe is a winner in my book!
This baked tortellini with chicken is so creamy, sauce, and just downright soul-warming. It’s what I’d consider Italian soul food.
The tortellini is baked in a creamy parmesan sauce with juicy, pan-seared chicken and three cheese. The combination is insanely tasty!
Baked tortellini with chicken ingredients
- Cheese– Shredded parmesan, mozzarella, and dollops of ricotta cheese make this baked tortellini dish rich and mouthwateringly good!
- Tortellini- You can use dried or frozen tortellini, whatever is available at your local grocery store! I have used Barilla Collezione Three Cheese Tortellini and they are perfect for this recipe!
- Chicken breasts– Slice your chicken breasts in half if they are thick so they cook faster!
- Spices– Garlic powder, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes help bring all the delicious cheesy flavors out!
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Salted butter
- Cream cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
Use a cast iron
I love using my cast iron pan for this recipe. You can sear the chicken breasts in the pan, keeping all the juices in there to blend back into the dish.
Cast irons can be used on the stovetop and in the oven. This way, you can cook the chicken breasts in the cast iron on the stovetop, then combine everything in it and pop it into the stove. Easy!
Sear the chicken breasts
Thinner chicken breasts sear really well and cook faster, which will help move this recipe along. If you have large chicken breasts, slice them in half and pound them to thin them out to no larger than 1/2″ thickness.
Get your pan nice and hot, then add a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken breasts, then sear them on each side for 4 minutes or until they are cooked thoroughly. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes, then slice them into thin, bite-sized strips.
How to make baked tortellini with chicken
- Cook the tortellini. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a roaring boil. Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions to al dente. Reduce the heat once you add the tortellini to medium-high to reduce the risk of breaking the tortellini. Drain the tortellini and place it to the side.
- Sear the chicken. Place a pan over medium heat. Slice the chicken breasts in half and pound them until they are no more than 1/2″ thick. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken breasts on both sides. Once the pan is hot, add a splash of olive oil to the pan, then spread it all over the bottom. Place the chicken breasts in the pan and allow them to sear for 4 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked thoroughly. Remove them from the pan and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before you slice them into thin, bite-sized strips.
- Make the sauce. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a medium-sized pot (or the same pan that you cooked the chicken in) combine the cream cheese, butter, heavy whipping cream, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic powder, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until everything is well combined. Add the shredded parmesan cheese to the pan and stir for 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and incorporated. The sauce will thicken once the cheese is melted.
- Combine and bake. Combine the tortellini, chicken strips, and sauce in a large oven-safe pan. Stir until everything is coated in the sauce. Drop small dollops of ricotta cheese on the top of the tortellini dish, then sprinkle a generous layer of shredded mozzarella cheese. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the mozzarella cheese is evenly melted and browned. Mangia!
How to store and reheat
Baked tortellini can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat this dish, you can place it in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
More Backyard Bohemian classics
- Carrot Cake Breakfast Bars
- I’ve Been Accepted!
- Easy Pomodoro Sauce
- Strawberries and Cream Cheesecake
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #BackyardBohemian to show me what you’ve made!
Cheesy Baked Tortellini With Chicken Gratinati
This cheesy baked tortellini with chicken gratinati has juicy seared chicken breasts and is loaded with cheese! This hearty dish is easy and quick to prepare and ultra delicious!
- 12 oz dried or frozen tortellini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb chicken breasts sliced in half to 1/2" thickness
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
Cook the tortellini. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a roaring boil. Lower the heat to a light boil (to reduce the risk of ripping the tortellini), then add the tortellini. Cook the tortellini to al dente according to package instructions. Drain the tortellini and place them to the side.
Sear the chicken. Place an oven-safe pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Slice the chicken breasts in half and pound them until they are no larger than 1/2" thick. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breasts. Add the olive oil to the pan, then add the chicken breasts. Sear the chicken on each side for 4 minutes, or until they are cooked thoroughly. Remove them from the pan (keeping the juices in the pan), and allow them to rest before slicing them into thin, bite-sized pieces.
Make the sauce. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In the same pan that you cooked the chicken, combine the salted butter, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic powder, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then stir in the parmesan cheese. Continue stirring and cooking for 3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce has slightly thickened.
Combine and bake. Combine the sauce, tortellini, and sliced chicken in the oven-safe pan and stir until it is well combined. Place dollops of ricotta cheese on the top of the tortellini bake, then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top. Place the pan in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until the mozzarella cheese is melted and browned in spots. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!