Savory breakfast pop tarts are made with crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, bell pepper, creamy cheddar cheese, all encased in a flaky handheld tart.
Homemade Toaster Scrambles Using Puff Pastry
Who doesn’t love a good hand held and easy breakfast- especially when it includes bacon! WHAT! These savory breakfast pop tarts are easy to assemble, so easy all you mommas can stand back and let your kids have some fun in the kitchen!
The idea of not having to cook first thing in the morning is thrilling. These scrambled egg pop tarts are easy to freeze, reheat well, and make breakfast so much easier! Especially when you feel like your feeding a stampede of angry animals.
Scrambled eggs are extra fluffy thanks to the little splash of milk. Crispy bacon adds the perfect salty flavor, and bell pepper adds colors and a little zing. Handheld savory pop tarts are on everyone’s favorite list!
Savory Puff Pastry Hand Pies
Ingredients to make savory breakfast pop tarts
- Puff pastry dough
- Cheddar cheese
- Bell pepper
- Salt & pepper
Tips to make these scrambled egg pop tarts
- Cook the bacon first. Make sure the bacon is nice and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, but keep the grease in there.
- Whisk the eggs with milk. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the milk, a pinch of salt, and give it a good whisk. Adding milk to the eggs will give them a fluffy texture.
- Cook the eggs in the bacon grease. This was always Grandma’s secret. Cooking eggs in bacon grease gives them extra flavor!
- Cut the puff pastry dough with a sharp knife. Make sure to cut the squares evenly.
- Seal the edges of the pop tarts with egg wash. Make a quick egg-wash and brush along side the edges of the pop tart. Put the top square on, matching the edges up, then press with a fork to make sure it is sealed.
How to make bacon, egg and cheese pop tarts
- Cook the bacon and save the grease. Place the bacon on a cold cast iron pan, then set it over medium heat. This method of cooking bacon prevents it from shrinking. Remove the bacon from the pan when it’s done cooking, but leave the grease.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs. After the eggs are whisked and the milk is incorporated, scrambled them in the bacon grease.
- Dice the bell pepper. Toss them in the scrambled eggs.
- Scoop the scrambled egg mixture in to the middle of a puff pastry square.
- Mix an egg wash together. Brush the egg wash on the edge of the puff pastry square.
- Put another puff pastry square onto of the the other. Use a fork to press the edges together.
- Bake, eat, repeat! These scrambled egg pop tarts are yours to enjoy! Refrigerate them, freeze them, or eat them right away!
Scrambled Egg and Bacon Pop Tarts
These breakfast hand helds are even better because they can be frozen! Simply let them cool before placing them in single layer in the freezer. Once they are frozen, you can place the egg pop tarts in a freezer bag.
You can store these savory breakfast pop tarts in the fridge for up to 4 days. I can bet they won’t even last that long, but if you find they are being eaten slower than anticipated, just pop them in the freezer.
Other flavors to add
- Green chilies
- Chicken sausage
- Fresh herbs
More Breakfast Recipes
Bacon, Egg and Cheese Pop Tarts
- 1 package of puff pastry sheets
- 6 eggs
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 of a bell pepper chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a cold cast iron pan, lay the bacon in a single layer. Heat over medium heat and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the grease.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk. Add a pinch of salt. Pour the scrambled egg mixture into the hot cast iron pan. Cook until the eggs are no longer runny. Add the bell pepper and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove the scrambled eggs from the pan and place in a bowl. Crumble the bacon and pour the cheese into the eggs. Mix to combine.
- Cut the dough on a clean surface with a sharp knife into little rectangles. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix an egg wash- crack an egg and save the whites. Add 1 TBS of water and whisk. Line the edges of the puff pastry dough with the egg wash.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of scrambled eggs into the center of the puff pastry rectangles. Lay another rectangle on top, then use a fork to press them together on all edges.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.