This Christmas pancake breakfast board is packed with festive candies, fruit Santa hats, homemade whipped cream, and fluffy red and green buttermilk pancakes. This is the perfect breakfast to make with your kids!
Christmas time is finally here- please don’t judge me, but I’ve had my Christmas tree up since mid October. Look, it’s 2020 and nothing makes sense, so why not!
This Christmas breakfast board is exactly what this season needs! The red and green buttermilk pancakes are super cute and festive, not to mention ultra fluffy!
All your favorite holiday candies are scattered across the board including chocolates, marshmallows, and sprinkles. These candies are the perfect pancake toppings!
There are a few different components of this Christmas breakfast that make it super special! The fruit Santa hats are made with sliced bananas, grapes, strawberries, and topped with little marshmallows. They are so cute and are the perfect way to eat fresh!
Christmas breakfast board ingredients
- Pancakes– Flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, eggs, buttermilk, butter, and a few extra ingredients makes these pancakes fluffy and flavorful.
- Santa hats– The little Santa hats are made with sliced bananas, strawberries, green grapes, and small marshmallows.
- Candy canes– I used a food processor to make crushed candy canes.
Make it ahead of time
You can easily make this Christmas breakfast ahead of time. The buttermilk pancakes can be made 2 days in advance, just pop them in the fridge in an airtight container until you are ready to eat. You can reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
The whipped cream can be made a day in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
The whipped cream and the pancakes takes the longest to prepare and make. Once you are ready to eat this Christmas breakfast, warm up the pancakes, then stack everything on the board. Do not make the Santa hats until you are ready to eat, the bananas can turn brown and mushy if they are left out too long.
Get the kids involved
My kids love making pancakes with me! You can get the kids involved in the kitchen by letting them whisk the bowl or even pour the pancakes.
The Santa hats are easy to assemble. If you have younger children, cut the banana slices for them. Let the kids use the toothpicks to put together the Santa hats, they will have a blast (plus, it’s great for hand/eye coordination!).
Switch it up
You can add so much more to this board! The bigger the platter, the more you can add! Here are a few suggestions to add to this Christmas breakfast.
- Sausage links
- Fried eggs
- Flavored maple syrups
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle over the pancakes
How to make this Christmas breakfast board
- Make the pancakes. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl, then whisk to combine. Combine the melted butter, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and whisk it well. Add the wet ingredients slowly to the dry ingredients, then stir until it’s just combined. Separate the batter in half into two bowls, then stir int he red and green food coloring. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the pancake batter in the hot skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Make the whipped cream. Add the heavy cream to a stand mixer and place it medium speed. Whisk the heavy cream until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly add the vanilla extract and the confectioner’s sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Place the whipped cream in a bowl and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Make the Santa hats. Slice a banana into 1/4 inch slices. Cut the tops off the strawberries. Use a toothpick to pierce the banana slice, strawberry and marshmallow. Place a grape on the other half of the tooth pick.
- Assemble your Christmas breakfast. Grab a large platter and place the pancakes in a few different spots on the edge of the board. Place the whipped cream in the center of the board. Place handfuls of candies in the bare spots of the board until it is covered.
Christmas Pancake Breakfast Board
- 3 Mixing bowls
- large servign platter
Red and green pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp salted butter melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp green food coloring
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 toothpicks
- 10 green grapes
- 1 banana sliced into 1/4" slices
- 10 strawberries
- 10 mini marshmallows
- Hershey kisses
- kiwi fruit
- star fruit
- maple syrup
- Make the pancakes. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and whisk well. Melt the butter in a separate bowl in the microwave for 15 seconds, or until melted. Whisk the eggs in with the butter, then add the vanilla extract. Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (it will be lumpy. Remove half the batter into a separate bowl. Add the red food coloring to one bowl and the green food coloring to the other bowl. Stir each bowl until the color is distributed evenly. Heat a griddle over medium heat. Once the griddle is hot, scoop 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Place the cooked pancakes to the side.
- Make the Santa hats. Slice the bananas into 1/4" thick slices. Cut the tops off the strawberries. Stack the strawberry (cut side facing the banana slice) over the banana slice and pierce it with half of the toothpick. Place the marshmallow on the top of the strawberry. Place the grape under the slice of banana and secure with the remainder of the toothpick.
- Make the whipped cream. Place the heavy whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer. Attach the whisk attachment to the mixer, then place it on medium speed. Whisk the heavy cream until it has thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until it is well combined. Place the whipped cream in a bowl or airtight container until you are ready to serve it.
- Assemble the board. Place the pancakes and Santa hats on the edges of the serving platter. Place the whipped cream in the center of the platter. Fill the empty spaces on the board with fruits and candies. Serve and mangia!
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.