Everyone has that one appetizer that feels like a warm hug, and for many, it’s the classic spring roll. These crispy, golden pockets filled with flavorful chicken and fresh vegetables is an absolute delight. Whether you’re preparing a side for your main course, setting up snacks for movie night, or planning appetizers for a get-together, chicken vegetable spring rolls are the perfect crunchy pick.
But why head to a restaurant when you can make this mouthwatering dish right in the comfort of your home? This recipe will walk you through creating the perfect Chicken Vegetable Spring Rolls, paired with an irresistibly tangy dipping sauce. So, grab your apron and let’s dive in!
- Chicken Marination: Allow the chicken to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. The longer the marination, the more flavorful your chicken.
- Fresh Veggies: Always opt for fresh vegetables. Their crunch and vibrancy are unparalleled in taste.
- Frying Temperature: Ensure the oil is hot but not smoking. Too cold, and the rolls might absorb excess oil. Too hot, and they might burn.
- Freezing: If you want to prepare these in advance, you can freeze the uncooked rolls. Fry them directly from the freezer when you’re ready.
For the Chicken
- Chicken Breast: We’re using boneless pieces, cubed to perfection. Chicken provides the perfect lean protein base for our spring rolls.
- Salt, Black Pepper, & Paprika: These seasonings are essential to give our chicken that robust flavor.
For the Spring Rolls
- Carrots & Cabbage: Freshly shredded, these veggies give a delightful crunch.
- Green Bell Pepper: Sliced thin, this adds a dash of color and flavor.
- Green Onions: Chopped finely, they introduce a mild kick.
- Soy Sauce: Adds depth with its salty and umami profile.
- Roll Sheets: The crispy encasing for our sumptuous filling.
Slurry for Binding
- All-Purpose Flour: This helps create a paste that’ll keep our rolls tightly bound.
- Water: For adjusting the consistency of our binding paste.
- Mayonnaise: For that creamy base.
- Ketchup: Adds a sweet and tangy note.
- Salt, Paprika & Garlic Powder: Seasonings to elevate our sauce.
- Lemon & Apple Cider: For that much-needed zest and tang.
Substitutes & Variations
- Vegetarian Version: Skip the chicken and add mushrooms, tofu, or paneer.
- Boozy Touch: A splash of rice wine in the vegetable mixture can give an interesting twist.
- Spice it Up: Add some chopped green chilies or a dash of hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Chicken Prep: Begin by marinating your cubed chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. Let this flavorful mix rest and infuse for about 30 minutes.
- Cook the Chicken: In your trusty wok or pan, heat up some oil. Add the marinated chicken. The goal is to get that beautiful brown, seared exterior. Once achieved, set aside.
- Veggie Time: In the same pan, bring together the carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, and green onions. Season with salt, black pepper, and soy sauce. Give it a good stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes. Next, introduce the cooked chicken to this veggie party. Mix and mingle, then set aside.
- Roll Assembly: Craft a smooth paste with your all-purpose flour and water. Now, it’s time to assemble. Lay out a spring roll sheet, load up some filling in the center, fold, roll, and seal with the flour paste.
- Frying: Heat your oil. Once it’s at the right temperature, gently place your spring rolls. The goal is a deep golden hue and a crispy texture.
- Dipping Sauce: While your rolls are cooling off a bit, whip up the dipping sauce. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing until you achieve a silky-smooth consistency.
- Serve and Enjoy: Present your glorious Chicken Vegetable Spring Rolls with the tangy dipping sauce on the side. Watch them disappear in no time!
Storage & Reheating
Storing and reheating your Chicken Vegetable Spring Rolls properly ensures they retain their flavor and crispy texture. Here’s a comprehensive guide to keep them tasting just as good the next day!
- Refrigerator: If you happen to have leftover spring rolls, store them in an airtight container. This helps prevent moisture, which is the enemy of crispiness. They’ll remain fresh and delicious for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: For those who want to enjoy the goodness of homemade spring rolls on demand, freezing uncooked rolls is a fantastic option. To freeze:
- Place the uncooked spring rolls on a baking sheet, ensuring they don’t touch each other to prevent sticking.
- Pop the baking sheet in the freezer for about an hour or until the rolls are somewhat solid.
- Transfer the semi-frozen rolls into freezer bags or an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper.
- Label with the date and store for up to a month.
- Oven: The oven is your best bet to revive the crispiness of the spring rolls. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread out the rolls on a baking sheet, ensuring there’s some space between each one to allow for even heating. Heat for about 10-15 minutes or until they’re crispy and warmed throughout.
- Air Fryer: If you have an air fryer, it works wonders for reheating spring rolls. Set the air fryer to 350°F (175°C) and heat the rolls for 6-8 minutes, checking them occasionally to ensure they don’t overcook.
- Microwave: While this method is quicker, it’s worth noting that microwaving won’t retain the spring roll’s crispiness. Place the rolls on a microwave-safe dish and cover with a damp paper towel. This helps to keep them moist. Microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed.
- Pan-frying: If you don’t mind using a bit more oil, you can pan-fry leftover spring rolls. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat and add the rolls, turning them occasionally until they’re golden and crisp.
Tip: If you’re reheating frozen, uncooked spring rolls, there’s no need to thaw them. They can go directly into the oven or frying pan. However, remember they might need a little longer to cook thoroughly.
By taking a little extra care during storage and reheating, you can enjoy your Chicken Vegetable Spring Rolls with all the crunch and flavor of the first bite, any day!
More Crunchy Appetizers
- Mexican Street Corn (Elotes)
- Crispy Baked Eggplant (+VIDEO)
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls with Au Jus Sauce
- Creamy Vegetarian Black Bean Taquitos
Chicken Vegetable Spring Rolls
- 1 lbs. chicken breast cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3-4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- 1 medium cabbage shredded
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 roll sheets
- Oil for frying
Slurry For Binding Rolls
- 3-4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Water as required
For Dipping Sauce
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon
- ½ apple cider
- Start by marinating the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan, then add the marinated chicken and cook until it turns brown. Set it aside.
- In the same pan, add carrots, cabbage, green onions, and bell pepper. Mix everything well.
- Season the mixture with salt, crushed black pepper, and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Now, add the cooked chicken and mix everything together. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl, create a smooth paste by mixing all-purpose flour with water.
- Take a spring roll sheet and place a portion of the filling mixture in the center. Fold the sides over the filling and roll it up tightly. Use the all-purpose flour paste to seal the edges.
- Repeat the process with the remaining spring roll sheets and filling mixture.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep-frying pan for deep-frying the spring rolls.
- Carefully place the rolls in the hot oil and fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Once the spring rolls are cooked, remove them from the oil and let excess oil drain on a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the dipping sauce and mix until smooth.
- Serve the hot chicken vegetable spring rolls with the dipping sauce.
Nutrition values are estimates, for exact values consult a nutritionist.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.