Chicken quesadillas with chipotle lime sauce are easy and quick to make for lunch or dinner and are packed with smoky, tangy flavors and tons of cheese!Jump to Recipe
Chicken and cheese quesadillas
When I need a quick and easy lunch or dinner, I always make these cheesy chicken quesadillas. They are packed with protein and take 20 minutes to make, plus they are super tasty!
I make them so often, I put four tortillas on my weekly shopping list! They are so simple to make and lets be real- who doesn’t love a buttery flour tortilla oozing with cheese and soy sauce chicken?!
These chicken and cheese quesadillas are terrific on their own, especially if you are pressed for time and need something quick. If you really want to elevate this dinner, the chipotle lime sauce is made in seconds in a blender and adds a smoky tanginess. Delicious!
These chicken quesadillas are perfect for back to school lunches, easy weekday dinners, or just a little snack to tie you over until the next meal. They are easy to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge until you are ready to eat them!
I’ve got all the tips on how to customize these quesadillas to make them your own! Don’t just stop at chicken and cheese- you can add so many more ingredients to make them extra delicious!
Chicken and cheese quesadilla ingredients
- Flour tortillas– Regular sized flour tortillas are used for this recipe. I can generally fit two quesadillas in my pan at a time, making dinner even easier and faster!
- Butter– Salted butter is melted in the pan before the quesadilla is cooked. This will help crisp the flour tortillas and add a delicious flavor!
- Chicken– If you want to make this dinner even faster, grab some chicken tenderloins from the grocery store. They are thinner and cook more quickly.
- Soy sauce– The chicken is pan-fried with soy sauce for extra flavor.
- Shredded cheese– You can use a mixture of cheeses like a Mexican bend, mozzarella, or a cheddar blend. If you’d like to keep it simple, shredded mozzarella works perfectly!
Chipotle sauce ingredients
- Chipotle in adobo sauce
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Red onion
- Diced chilies
- Pico de gallo
- Bell peppers
- Sun-dried tomatoes
Make them ahead of time
Make these chicken quesadillas ahead of time to make your work week a breeze! Cook the quesadillas and let them cool slightly, then place them in an airtight container in the fridge. They are easy to heat up, but also very delicious as a cold lunch.
Switch up the ingredients
You can really have some fun with these quesadillas because there are unlimited ways to make them. Add whatever ingredients you have on hand to make them extra delicious!
How to make chicken and cheese quesadillas
- Cook the chicken. Heat a medium size pan over medium heat. Add some olive oil to the pan. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the pan. Add the soy sauce to the chicken, then cook on each side for about 5 minutes (for 1/2 inch thick chicken tenderloins). If you are using more ingredients like onion or tomatoes, go ahead and add them to the pan as well. Remove the chicken from the pan, then slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Melt the butter. Place butter in a cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Make the quesadillas. Place the flour tortilla in the melted butter. Add the cheese to the flour tortilla on half of it. Place the chicken and any other used ingredients on top of the cheese. Fold the side with no cheese on top of the cheese half, then cook for 3-5 minutes on each side until the tortilla is crispy.
- Make the sauce. Add the sour cream, garlic, lime juice, and the chili in adobo sauce to the blender, then blend until smooth.
- Serve. Cut the quesadillas into little triangles, then dunk in the delicious chipotle sauce and enjoy! Mangia!
What to serve with chicken and cheese quesadillas
- Grilled pineapple jalapeño margaritas are made with fresh ingredients that are bursting with smoky, sweet flavors! Sweet and tangy pineapple, spicy jalapeño, and fresh lime make it delicious!
- Shrimp ceviche pasta salad is packed with fresh shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, jalapeño, and al dente pasta. This easy and fast dish is perfect for lazy summer days!
- Enjoy these frozen strawberry watermelon margaritas that combines fresh, sweet watermelon, strawberries, lime juice, and tequila! This easy blender made drink will impress the crowd!
- Take a trip to Mexico with this delicious pineapple peach agua fresca. This lightly sweetened and fruity drink is so refreshing and non alcoholic!
How to store and reheat chicken quesadillas
You can make these chicken and cheese quesadillas ahead of time to save a ton of time over the hectic work week. I love to make these ahead of time to pack lunch for my kids.
If you’d like to make these ahead of time, allow them to cool a little before placing them in an airtight container in the fridge and store them for up to 3 days.
When you are ready to eat them, you can reheat them in the microwave for 2 minutes, or in the oven at 350 degrees for ten minutes.
More Sea Salt Savorings classics
- Easy Blackberry Cobbler
- Tropical Summer Sangria
- Blackened Salmon with Mango Salsa and Coconut rice
- Roasted Summer Squash
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to stay in touch! I love to see your creations! Tag me at #SeaSaltSavorings to show me what you’ve made!
Chicken Quesadillas with Chipotle Lime Sauce
Chicken quesadillas with chipotle lime sauce are easy and quick to make for lunch or dinner and are packed with smoky, tangy flavors and tons of cheese!
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut to 1/2 in thickness
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- red onion finely chopped
- tomato diced
- bell pepper diced
- pico de gallo
Chipolte Lime Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce) drained
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove
Cook the chicken. Heat a large pan over medium heat with a splash of olive oil. Place the chicken breasts in the pan and add the soy sauce. Cook for 5 minutes on each side. If you are using additional ingredients, add to the pan while the chicken cooks. Remove the breasts from the pan and place to the side. Slice the chicken into thin strips.
Assemble the quesadillas. In the same pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Place a flour tortilla in the pan and place the shredded mozzarella cheese on half of the tortilla. Place the chicken strips and any other additional ingredients on top of the cheese, then fold the other side over. Let the quesadilla cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until its golden brown.
Make the sauce. Combine the sour cream, chipotle peppers, lime juice, salt, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth.
Serve. Serve the quesadillas with a side of the chipotle lime sauce and enjoy! Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!